Chapter 6: Red Roses

Start from the beginning

"So, Adrian. What do you like to do?" the question made me freeze up.

Nobody had really taken an interest in my life before, so it took a little bit of delving for me to come up with anything. I had always harbored a secret love for writing, though most of the things I wrote were melancholy and often off putting.

"I, uh, I r-really like writing. Also reading, it's really great." I said, smiling softly and focusing my eyes on the fuzzy grey carpet under my feet. "And music is nice..."

Danny's face lit up instantly, his hands reaching out to grab mine as he wiggled his hips joyfully.

"You have to let me take you out dancing sometime. The city has some great places and there aren't that many pervs hanging around, so that's always a plus. What are some of your favorite songs?" he fired words at me rapidly, my eyes blinking slowly to process.

"-U-Uh," Finn was still holding my hand, giving me a constant feeling of comfort. "I like a lot of things...classical is nice, and some pop..." I tried to think of songs I had caught on the radio from my bus ride to work, school and most places. "M-Mostly alternative. I guess just things you can dance to."

It had been such a long time since I danced to any music. I looked goofy and dumb when I was a kid doing dorky dance moves to songs on the radio and earning enthusiastic applause from my mother. She was always my biggest fan, cheering me on and encouraging my dreams.

A warm smile slipped on my face as I thought about my mother, but it didn't strike me with sadness. Danny had only brought on good memories of her.

"I used to love dancing." I said quietly, laughing sincerely and finally meeting Danny's attentive eyes. "Th-Thank you. For asking, that's really nice of you. And for reminding me. I haven't thought about it in such a long time..."

He grinned widely, his white teeth showing and going with his cute little face. I so badly wanted to reach over and squeeze his cheeks, though he didn't have that much to grab. I definitely wasn't used to so much niceness being aimed at me, so I tried to smile and give back as much as I was receiving.

"You're very welcome, darling. I can't wait to get to know you better. I already know you're going to get along just great with everyone here." he got up from the floor, hugging my upper body. "You're just so sweet and cute."

With that, he let go of me to head back towards Atticus. I averted my gaze from the muscular man quickly. Danny so willingly let the deadly looking man kiss and touch him.

I don't trust him.

My eyes drifted to the floor for a second, my ears starting to ring and my head pounding. I pressed my face into Finn's shoulder, trying to dull the sharp pain that felt like a knife cutting through me. A flash of heat went through me and I gripped Finn's arms tightly, tears flowing down my cheeks.

"Love? Are you okay?" he asked, trying to pull me away from him so he could look at me.

I cried out as the pain started to overwhelm me, my body feeling like there was a burning flame stuck inside of me.

"It hurts." I said, in between my clenched teeth trying to keep the sounds out. "Please, make it stop!"

The heat suddenly went down, my stomach no longer catching fire and scalding the rest of me. Cold hands brushed against my sides in long strokes, each one feeling like pure heaven against my boiling skin. I then noticed that my shirt had been pulled up, exposing my chest where scars littered the skin there. Eyes watched me carefully, the hands continuing to soothe the ache that was now starting to settle.

"Adrian?" a voice asked slowly, the hands ceased instantly as the voice spoke. "Are you alright, love?"

My eyes had been glued on the couch most of the time, lifting suddenly at this moment to take in my surroundings.