- 15 -

"Come on, Caleb. Let's go home." I took my brother's hand and guided him towards the car. I had called Elliott to pick Jeremy, Caleb, and I from the hospital. "Are you okay?" I should've asked a long time ago. But I was just really worried this time. He gave me a simple nod. The bandages around his eyes didn't make me feel any better. His hands moved around the seat before they found mine. He gave my hands a gentle squeeze.

"I'll be fine, Mazie! I'm your brother after all, and you're working on stopping the games. You're bringing justice while I'm just bringing trouble. I sincerely apologize." He thought he was a burden. Hah, he's always have. Since we were younger he would try to tell me to leave his business alone but he appreciated it. It wasn't hard to tell.

"Just go to sleep Caleb...and you're no trouble. You're my brother, not a burden and no matter how close or not we may be, it shall always be that way." I hummed. His hand grip slowly loosened as he fell into his sleep. His breath was softly and steady. It was relaxing. I looked over to Jeremy, who was sitting in the front seat.

Do you want Elliott to pull over so I can sit back with you? He mouthed at me. I shook my head. It wouldn't be necessary. I was still frazzled but I could handle it.

I'm fine, but a bit concerned. Jeremy nodded in acknowledgement before turning back to the front.

"Mazie...I think Caleb should stray away from the games..." Elliott quietly said, as he focused on the road. I called him since Caleb was close to him and he should be one of the first to know (other than Jeremy). Plus, my brother will be glad to feel his presence when he wakes up. I'm kinda grateful that my brother has a thing for males rather than females. Females would break his heart.

"I think so too..." I whisper. After this incident, my brother could do nothing to convince me to let him continue. It's practically suicide to let him. If he barely got away with temporary eye damage, who knows what would happen next? "I don't think he wants to continue anyway. If he does, he's crazy." A bitter laugh escape my lips.

"If you're tired, you should sleep too." Jeremy interrupted. Ah, he noticed. I haven't slept in the past fourteen hours. Then, I haven't been sleeping well since those three days. How could he tell so easily? I swore the foundation I stole from my mom looked good enough. "We'll wake you up when we get to your house."

I nodded, letting a yawn slip. I laid my head against Caleb's shoulder and closed my eyes. I was really tired. I'm surprised I made it so long. Sleep devoured me.

~

Caleb didn't return until Wednesday. Neither did I. Did you really expect me to leave my blind brother home alone when my parents weren't caring? Honestly, I tell them he's blind and they shrug it off as if I told them he got a paper cut. The most they did was buy a walking stick so it was easier. So, I made him food and helped him navigate around the house when necessary.

"Hey...you know how...you always go with your group...for the games? I...I want to join you...I want to try to help. I mean, I'm not much of a help but I don't want to do these...games. I don't want to die in my junior year because of this." Caleb's laugh was soft and scratchy still. But I got what he was trying to say.

"Of course, Caleb. Whether you joined the group or not, I wasn't going to let you throw yourself back into those games anyway." I laugh in return. He gave me a smile in return as we walked out to Elliott's car. I helped Caleb into the front and returned to the back. I asked Elliott to drive us to school while Caleb worked on getting back. I could, but honestly I wouldn't be fit with my lack of sleep. I can barely stay awake in class and I already have so much homework to make-up.

"Thank you so much, Elliott~ You're very sweet." If Caleb was able to use his full voice, it would be smooth and sly. But now, it was rather rugged but nonetheless clever. Elliott gave a smile at Caleb, and laughed softly.

"It's okay, I don't mind helping you and Mazie." We continued to school, and I somehow made it without falling asleep.  Elliott and I helped Caleb out before Melody and another boy came up to us.

"E-Eh? This is your brother? This is who I was talking about...Lucas." I looked at Melody confused. What was she talking about? When did she talk about a boy- Oh. When we were in the music room and she said Lucas just stood around as a boy got beaten around. He didn't do anything...? He did nothing to stop it? He could have prevented my brother's blindness?

"A-Are you being serious, Melody? If you are, I swear to god, I will destroy Lucas." I could feel something resonate inside me. I wanted to kill Lucas if this information was true. As if on cue, Jeremy showed up. He was like my relaxation method. Honestly, I couldn't be sane without him. I would bubble up with rage at anyone if he wasn't around.

"Hey. How's Caleb?" He asked. I let out a deep breath before answering. I didn't want to blow up at him. Jeremy has been nothing but help and yelling at him would do no good.

"He's okay. But Melody is saying Lucas just stood around watching Caleb get beat up." The boy next to her coughed. I understand a need for attention, but if we found out a cause for my blind brother I will not hesitate to ignore.

"A-Ah! I forgot to mention. This is my own brother, Dallas. He plays the violin and he wants to help! He's...good at coding...so maybe he could hack into the video recording to get your proof of the game on campus." Melody introduced. Dallas nodded.

"Yeah, I'm the best hacker there could be. Not only that, but I have girls all over me." Melody rolled her eyes, a little huff included.

"You're a freshman with cheerleaders over you who want an important role like yours in the games. They have no interest in you and your arrogant idiocy." Wow, Melody didn't kid around when it came to proving her younger brother wrong. By roles, everyone had a role. Most fell under the most common of pawn but there were very important roles like the king (Timothy), the queen (Amy, Timothy's "secret" girlfriend), the jack (I presume it's Henry), and etc. I'm guessing Dallas is the messenger, the information guy. The IT guy. Not 'it,' IT; as in information technology.

"Aw, you're just jealous since your the female Ace. As Caleb over here was the original Ace." My brother had such a high role? How exciting. Luckily, he doesn't have that anymore. "But since you both dropped out, new roles will be set soon. I suppose that all of you in this little group be careful. Timothy already has his eye on one of his Aces."

I wonder who that will be.