"My mother once spoke of magical people who roamed the woods, picking berries and twirling under the moonlight," he began, stepping around so that he came face to face with her. His movements were cautious, not that he was afraid for himself, but for her. He didn't want to startle her. "She said they carried gifts—powers the color of the sea and of fire and of rubies. I believed her of course, but never in my life did I imagine myself seeing one with my own two eyes."

Wanda had fallen to her knees at that point, her body exhausted from the over-use of her magic, but she looked up to glance at the boy standing a few feet away, his eyes wide with a thrill she couldn't comprehend.

"I am not magical," she had said, wiping her eyes. "I'm darkness."

Why wasn't he afraid?

The boy began to shake his head. "Perhaps so, but...darkness can be beautiful; darkness can be good."

Wanda closed her fists, extinguishing the hexes above her head.

"You're afraid to follow them," Nik said, his voice clearer than it was a few minutes ago. She had lost herself in thought, in her memories, but he was right. She was afraid to follow her hexes, afraid of where they might lead her. "You're surrendering yourself to your fears, Wanda. You're picking up the habits that tortured you back home."

Her mouth gave a twitch of a smile. "Maybe my fears will show mercy," she joked, but Nik didn't laugh, not even the hint of amusement in those curious eyes. "When I go see the Professor, I want you to come with me. Maybe the two of you can formulate a plan to speed this process up."

Nik squinted his eyes and kicked at her shoe. "Okay. Let's see where your magic takes you," he said, lifting his chin and signaling her to position herself, palms face-up.

"Where it takes us," she insisted.

"Of course, of course. Where is takes us."

Then she closed her eyes and felt her magic slither through her fingers, cooler this time, welcoming her.

___

"He's a good kid," Emma said, taking a spot beside Steve as he watched Wanda and Nik through the trees, just close enough to make out the scarlet hue of Wanda's magic. "I believe in him."

"To do what?" Steve asked, and she couldn't help but notice the jealousy lacing his words.

"To help the woman you love, Captain."

She was back in her white attire: a white crop top, white high-waisted leggings, a white belt, white boots, and her white cloak, clipped onto the diamonds on each shoulder. Sharon's claw was the only added color to her look—a sanded down dagger, ink black during the day, translucent in the dark.

"What do we plan on doing about Markus?" she asked, touching her necklace before turning away from the window.

"I'm not sure there's much we can do," he said, finally peeling his eyes away from Nik and Wanda. "Once a man has revenge on his mind, there's no stopping him."

Emma pursed her lips. "You should see what it does to a woman."

They walked together down the halls of the main building, thinking of a plan that can protect both the people at the compound, and of Wanda. Though Emma knew Wanda would always be a priority, even if she protested, asking—begging—them to make sure the others were safe.

A girl stricken by the nightmares she caused others would always put herself last, Emma thought.

Wanda is always worried about the people she cares about—it's who she is