Chapter 11 - Freak out, freakout

11 – Freak out, freakout

Moms are quite smart. But I still wish mine could sometimes be a little less like a spy. I wanted to settle things down and for that, I had to clear everything for myself. But how?

The radio was playing I the back round. I was swaying to the music. I whispered, “Howard.” My skin felt a little weird, but mostly, I was okay and normal. No sweaty palms, no mega heartbeat. “Joe?” Again, nothing.

“Bu, you really are no help,” I mumbled and threw myself on the bed. How was I supposed to figure this all out when I really didn’t know how I actually felt?

Later, Joe asked me out. I kind of wondered if that was like a date or…I dressed as usual. Wrong! I got nervous. Of course I put on some make-up. But mom thought it was okay and was suddenly all curious.

“Who is this? Joe? But why, honey? You’re friends! Is he bringing someone along?”

I rolled my eyes at this and finally managed to get out of the house. I caught a bus to the mall. He was sitting next to the fountain. Good times, I thought. And by that I meant how Howard had given me a lovely swim in that exact water. Well, maybe not that exact.

“Hey, you’re here,” Joe smiled and rose from the bench like a real gentleman. “So, as always?”

“Sorry?” I bit my lip.

“A hot dog without mustard and a sprite,” he said slightly frowning. “It is your favourite, isn’t it?”

“Oh, you meant(I lowered my voice into a whisper) food…” I added a confident nod and smiled widely. Stop being stupid, I demanded of myself, Yeah, like that’s even possible. I sighed and followed Joe to the fast food stand.

“I love that song,” he mentioned casually and gave the order.

“Yup,” I mumbled as an answer and bit my lip nervously. I closed my eyes and focused on the tune. Hm, I wonder if it’s dedicated to me? I think Joe was flirting with the girl assisting in the stand. I opened my eyes and sat on the chair. I drummed my fingers against the table and sang along. Taylor Swift took over the radio station with her single Sparks Fly. Oh, how wonderful would it be if the next song was dedicated to me.

“So, how have you been lately?” Joe asked taking a seat as well.

I frowned and blurted out, ”Do you like me?” I had placed my hands on the table ad was leaning dangerously close to him. I raised my eyebrow.

He shook his head like he was really confused about what I had just said.

“So, how about it?” I pressed my lips together and rested my head o my hand. Every move I made was awfully robotic and sudden.

“That’s a big question. Don’t you think you should be more careful with it?” He said.

I rolled my eyes. “Seriously, if that’s your way of changing the conversation, then it’s not working,” I assured. “I need to know. Just give me an answer. There is no wrong answer.” I saw hesitation and took his hand I my grip. “Joe, I’m okay with everything. Just…say it. Say what’s on your mind.”

“Are you sure you don’t want to eat first?” He gently asked, uncomfortable with the situation. Of course he was. I would’ve been surprised if he wasn’t.

“Will you tell me then?” I wondered.

“Madison, you’re being childish,” he shook his head ad sighed. “You’re my friend, I have to like you.”