Lost

"I'm not accepting this." my Korean boss throws my resignation letter on the table. "Why are you leaving? You just got a promotion! You are one of our best employees, we can't lose you." she says as she shakes her head.

"I'm sorry Miss Song but I want to leave." I tell her apologetically. Miss Song is not just a boss to me but she's also my friend, and I know that she knows why I am leaving without me having to tell her the reason.

"Why now?" she gives me a worried look. I can tell that she's asking me as a friend to a friend now, not as a boss to an employee.

"I'm just not happy anymore." I confess to her and she understood, as confirmed by the deep sigh she just let out.

"I guess you didn't find what you've been looking for?" she finally ask me, as she slump back in her chair. She's already getting what I'm trying to point out and gives me an understanding gaze. "What are you even looking for?"

"I don't really know, but I'm sure I didn't find it here. I thought I would, but I didn't." I tell her honestly.

"Is that really the reason or you don't like us anymore?" she squint her eyes on me.

"That's crazy. I love you guys and you know that. But I know of all people, you'd understand." I put my hand on her shoulder and she let out a deep breath as she hold my hand.

"Okay. I understand that you're now done with your search here in Dubai, so what now? Where's your next stop?" her gaze is daring.

"I'm not sure. I applied for a job in Canada and New Zealand, and I'm still waiting for my second interview. They are going to call soon." I look back at her. I know they will call, I have high hopes.

"What if they don't call?" she raise her brows at me.

"I guess I'll go back home." I shrug my shoulder while saying and she gives me a worried look. I clench my jaw nervously, because she knows the reason why I left home.

——
It just stopped raining and I'm laying back down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. As I trace the white flowers printed on my red bed sheet, I begin to question myself. What am I looking for? What's missing? But I cannot answer myself. How do I find something if I don't know what it is? What I am sure about is that, once I find it, whatever it is, I will know, I will have a way to know.

I am in my twenties with a good job in a foreign country. I am currently a front office supervisor in a 5-star hotel in Dubai, one of the richest city in the world. I've decided to leave my own country because I feel like there is something missing in my life, and my country is not the right place to find it. The main reason I've been working in different countries is to find what I've been looking for, which up until now is still a big mystery.

I've always been independent, as long as I can provide for my family back home then the distance doesn't really matter. My family, although, it is what we call 'broken' since my father is now living in with another bitch after breaking my Mom's heart, is somewhat okay, okay because my Mom, my older brother and twin younger brothers are all living together back home healthy and happy. Being the only girl in the family, I must say, it was hard convincing them, especially my mother, to let me live in a foreign country alone, but they somehow understood, understood that I am doing it for them and for myself.