Chapter 53

Lexa and I get ready for bed, changing in different rooms. This time, I don't get to accidentally see her with less clothes on than normal. I don't know whether to be saddened by that or relieved (because I might jump her if I see her like that again, and I know we both want our first time together to be special). We slip into bed and I cuddle up against Lexa, resting my head on her chest. Lexa wraps an arm around me and kisses my forehead.

"Clarke?" She asks quietly.

"Yeah?" I tilt my head up so I can look into her eyes.

"I promised you a date here. Would you mind if we do that tomorrow? I would like to show you the city."

"That sounds great." I say, unable to keep from yawning, making Lexa chuckle and kiss the top of my head.

"Sleep, hodnes (love)."

I smile at the pet name and move around a bit to get comfortable. Though it does makes me wonder... Is she scared to say it? Is the whole "love is weakness" thing holding her back? Is she afraid that I don't feel the same? Or (this is the most likely one) is she worried that I'm not ready to hear it?

I've never loved anyone like this. It's terrifying, giving her the means to shatter me. But I trust her. With everything. Every good part about me that she receives willingly and adores. Every bad part that she helps me fight off. Every burden she helps me carry. And I hope I do the same for her. Because Lexa gives me everything, lays all she is bare to me and expects nothing in return. And who she is... She's beautiful. I love her.

My eyes open wide at the realization, though it really shouldn't be news to me. Lexa's sleeping peacefully and I watch her for a moment, taking in how calm and happy she looks. I wonder if she always looks like that when she's sleeping or if it's because I'm in her arms. My fingers twitch and the urge to draw her is stronger than usual. I'll do it in the morning. I lay my head back down on her and it doesn't seem so scary anymore, loving her. I know she won't take it for granted, and that she would never purposely hurt me.

I sigh contently and fall asleep, feeling safe from everything in her arms.

I wake up when a guard brings in breakfast. Confused as to why I haven't woken up until now, I glance up at Lexa to see that she's still sleeping peacefully. I guess she was really tired after yesterday.

I carefully make my way out of bed, grinning when Lexa unconsciously grumbles as I do. I rummage through my backpack as quietly as I can and pull out my notebook and pencil. I pick up a chair and move it until I'm satisfied with my view of Lexa.

I draw until she starts to stir. I get up and set my notebook and pencil on the chair. Lexa moves again, seeming like she's grimacing and trying to get away from something. Is she having a nightmare? I walk around the bed, heading to the side of it that's closest to Lexa. Lexa shifts and then gasps, sitting up. She's breathing heavily and doesn't seem like she's focusing on reality right now.

"Hey, hey. Lexa." I say gently.

I reach forward slowly so that it won't startle her when I touch her arm. She blinks and then turns and looks at me. Her mouth drops open slightly and her jaw shudders as she exhales.

"Clarke?" Lexa's voice sounds raspier than normal. She squints at me like she can't quite believe I'm here.

I sit on the bed next to her. "Yeah, I'm here. It was just a bad dream, Lexa. You're safe."

Lexa blinks rapidly and then cuddles up against me. I wrap an arm around her and kiss the top of her head. I keep murmuring reassurances until she calms down.

"Thank you, Clarke." Lexa says, her head resting on my shoulder. I automatically start running my fingers through her hair. It's something that my mom used to do to calm me down. "I... Dreamt that Nia took you away and gave you to the Maunon. They turned you into a Reaper, Clarke. What terrifies me the most is that most of my dreams are prophecies."

"That one isn't. There's no way I would let anyone take me away from you. You're stuck with me now." I say the last sentence jokingly and Lexa chuckles.

"Good. I love having you by my side." Lexa sounds almost shy. She clears her throat and then notices breakfast, which is not as warm as it was when it was brought in. "Shall we eat? I have an eventful day planned."

"Alright." Lexa doesn't move and I laugh. "Babe, you've got to get up first."

Lexa kisses me and then gets up. We eat breakfast quickly, not wanting it to get any colder than it is.

"I will change in the bathroom." Lexa offers when we finish.

I put on my clothes, excited for our date. I wear a button up shirt that I know makes my boobs look great. After yesterday's make out session, I'm pretty sure that Lexa's a boob person. She only grabbed my butt a few times, but sometimes it was because I was almost falling off of her lap.

Lexa walks out when I'm finishing putting on a belt, stopping in her tracks and taking me in. We check each other out. Lexa's in normal clothes that are deliciously tight around her arm muscles.

"You look beautiful." Lexa says, snapping out of it and walking up to me. She rests her hands on my hips, checking my eyes to make sure I'm okay with the contact.

"You look gorgeous." I respond, making Lexa break out into a big smile.

We both lean in and meet each other halfway in a gentle kiss that makes me melt against her.

When we pull away, Lexa entwines our hands. "Shall we?"

So Clarke loves Lexa... When will they say the words? Next chapter is exploring Polis on their date! Thank you all for reading and stay awesome!