Chapter 18

When I wake up, the pounding is inside my head instead of outside. I groan, drawing in on myself. I clutch my aching head, burrowing into the furs. There are footsteps coming toward my bed and I know if I try to make any sudden movements, my stomach might rebel. I can tell who it is by the sound and lift up a hand to show I'm alive, just dead inside.

"Artigas, why did you let me drink so much?" I grumble, but I know he heard me.

"I did not let you, and I was not by your side. Heda was. I am certain she did not mean to allow you to have so much. Your body reacts to it more than I expected."

"Are you calling me a lightweight?" I peek out of the furs to give him a glare.

"I am not certain what that means. However, I am guessing that is exactly what I am calling you."

There's amusement in his expression, and I'm just glad it isn't Anya that woke me up. Now that I think about it... She never misses a chance to make my day even slightly worse, whether it be an extra hour training, making me run in place for a floating hour, or literally sitting on me to wake me up. Should I be worried?

"Where's Anya? Why didn't she wake me up?"

"She is... recovering, same as you but slightly worse. She drank a lot more than you did. After you and Heda left to go to bed, she and Indra got into a drinking contest. When Anya lost because she could not see straight enough to even pick up another mug, she challenged Indra to a fight. It did not go well for either of them and Nyko had to bandage them both up. Anya and Indra are fine, Indra just has a concussion and a broken clavicle, which Nyko said you would know what that means, and Anya has a broken wrist and a broken nose."

"Idiots." I sigh. I'll have to check on them today before I head off to see Lexa. "Clavicle means Indra has a broken collar bone."

"Very well. You may have to figure out who will train you, for Anya cannot easily do so with a broken wrist."

That's not going to be fun. I don't know who else would have the time to or even want to train me. I move from my bed slowly, trying not to jostle my stomach or my head too much. I nearly moan when I see Artigas brought me breakfast.

"Mochof." I say, moving slightly faster to get to the food faster.

Surprisingly, I don't collapse or throw up the boiling acid in my stomach as I stumble to the table. I slump on the chair and Artigas informs me he'll be waiting for me outside. I devour the food quickly, letting it calm my stomach. I walk outside a moment later, once I'm sure there's not a relatively large chance of me puking or getting a migraine in the middle of TonDC.

To my surprise, he's talking to Lexa, who has her usual giant bodyguard by her side. Her expression gentles when she sees me.

"Clarke." Lexa says. "I was on my way to see Anya and Indra in medical to make sure they haven't killed each other or Nyko for not allowing them to leave yet. Artigas tells me that is where you are headed, as well. Would you like to accompany me? I am certain Artigas will not object to having the day off."

"Sure." I say, but Artigas seems hesitant. "I'll be with the Heda, Artigas. I'll be safe."

He nods and bids us farewell (are their formal way of speaking rubbing off on me?).

Lexa touches my arm gently, and begins walking. I'm so surprised by the sudden contact that I fall in step with her almost immediately. She strides through the village like she knows all the streets, which I haven't managed to do and I've been here for about a month. Lexa's bodyguard (I'll really have to learn his name someday) follows us like a shadow, his footsteps surprisingly quiet for such a large person.

Lexa's lip curls up in amusement as we near Nyko's medical house or whatever you want to call it. I look where she is and try to keep from laughing. There's a clear ring around the house where people avoiding being near it.

When we come in, Nyko looks up from where he is sitting near Anya and Indra, and neither of them seem happy about how they're in bed. They try to get up when they see us, but a look from Nyko makes them recline again, scowls firmly in place. I can't see how exactly Nyko looked at them, but his glaring skills must be off the charts if he managed to get Indra and Anya to lie down again with just one. I mean, Anya's not even intimidated by Lexa's glare.

"Heda, Clarke, it is nice to see you. Perhaps you can talk sense into them. They want to get up, even though I tell them this is only temporary."

"Clarke, you are a healer. Talk sense into this fool." Anya growls, glowering at Nyko, who doesn't even flinch. "We have broken bones, we are not dying. We should not be stuck in these cots."

"If your bones don't set right, we'll have  to break them again. Plus, Nyko knows more about medicine than me. Trust what he says."

"He says I cannot fight for months, Clarke. Months." Anya gives her broken and wrapped wrist an accusing look like that'll fix it.

"Then you can't fight for months. I can have someone else train me, and I'm sure the 12 nations can survive with having a general unable to fight for a short time." At Anya's grumbling, which I take as basically a confession she'll try to fight, despite what I've said. "Anya, if you fight and hurt your wrist again, you may never be able to fight again. It's better to be out of commission for a few months than forever."

"Fine." Anya grumbles, crossing her arms like a scolded child. She flinches, so I guess she hit her wrist again.

"Now that is over with, who will train the Skai prisa? I would offer, but my concussion and broken clavicle would prevent me from doing so to the best of my abilities." Indra states.

"I can train you." Lexa offers