Chapter 36 (Parents)

Start from the beginning

She smiled. "Hello."

Kaylyn gaze momentarily wavered from the woman to Sapphire who was wriggling her way out of her grandfather's hands. She quickly skipped to Kaylyn, holding her by the hand.

     "Grandma, this is Kaylyn," she provided proudly with a witty smile.

      "Nice to meet you dear, " she smiled. "But I'm sure you had blonde hair from the last time I saw you," she exclaimed, knitting her brows in curiosity.

      "No, I-" Kaylyn began but was thankfully interrupted by Matthew.

     "Mom, that was Catherine," Matthew corrected distastefully, not liking the taste of the woman's name in his mouth.

      "Ohhh yes! I remember her, little rich girl, " she scowled and then turned to Matthew. "Matthew honey, I think I remember you telling us that you were engaged to her," Rachel exclaimed.

Matthew frowned. "Yeah, we broke things off-"

       "Catherine is a bitch!" Sapphire cut in bitterly.

     "Sapphire!" Matthew scolded.

Rachel's eyes widened as she stooped to Sapphire before she started grinning. "I always knew you were a smart girl. That woman was as fake as my Gucci purses," she said then laughed.

Kaylyn giggled causing Rachel to look up at her, with curiosity in her eyes. Matthew on the other hand, watched as his mother gave Kaylyn another hearty once-over, and he instantly knew that Kaylyn would soon be prey to his mother's inquisitions.

Stepping forward, he announced. "Do you guys care to join us for dinner? There's space at the table," he quickly said.

      "Well, not before someone tells me who this beautiful stranger is," Rachel exclaimed.

     "I'm a friend, " Kaylyn provided.

     "Oh I see. You're Matt's new girlfriend, " she winked.

Kaylyn paled, her mouth opened in shock.  "I–"

        "Guys, I'm sorry, but I'll have to leave now. Something has come up that needs my attention," Jason announced, demanding the attention of everyone else.

     "OK dear. I'd love to catch up but since its urgent, that'll have to stay for some other time," Rachel said, moving to embrace Jason with a hug.

He then shook John's hand, said his goodbye's to the others then left, leaving the others to revel in the awkward silence that was left behind.

      "Well, let's eat," Matthew said, moving towards the cupboards to get some more plates.

Kaylyn released a sigh of relief when Rachel seemed to have given up the questioning. She moved towards the table, pulling out a chair for herself before she sat.

#

Everyone now sat at the table eating, without saying a word. Utensils clunk and vegetables crunched, but words were swallowed and not uttered.

     "You know, Sapphire honey, I have a brand new doll just for you. You can play with it and take care of it when you're home bored," John announced, breaking the silence.

Sapphire smiled. "Thanks grandpa, but I won't have time. I'm getting a baby sister or brother soon so I will be real busy," she exclaimed proudly, causing Matthew to choke on his juice, Kaylyn to go moonlight pale and the Mayhew's to look clueless.

Coughing and clearing his throat, Matthew stood. "Dessert anyone?" he asked, thinking of the worst possible timing for Sapphire to break the news. He planned on informing his parents about the changes in his life, but he needed time to really think about how he would break the news.

      "Ohhh shush!" Rachel said, fanning at Matthew dismissively as she turned her full attention to Sapphire. "Honey, what do you mean?" she asked.

      "Kaylyn's pregnant!" she offered brightly.

Rachel's eyes widened as she glanced at Kaylyn, then at Matthew whose head was hung as he rubbed his temple.

     "Matthew, is that true?" John spoke for Rachel who was still in shock.

Sighing, Matthew moved towards Kaylyn. "Yes, this is Kaylyn Fisher. She has been staying with us for a few weeks now and she's pregnant with my child," Matthew announced, placing a hand around the small of kaylyn's back. She smiled stiffly, wanting to sink through the floor.

Rachel's eyes widened further. "Oh my lord!" she exclaimed then turned to John. "I knew that vacation was a bad idea. We have missed out on so much!"

She moved from around the table and hugged Kaylyn, which took her by surprise, and then she hugged Matthew.

      "Congratulations darling. I always wanted a house full of grandbabies!" she smiled brightly, stepping aside to allow her husband to congratulate them.

She stood smiling proudly, even though she knew she had a whole lot of questions to ask.

The first question being: "So when is the wedding?" she beamed with a grin.

____________________________________

Hey guys!!!
So the first five persons who guessed correctly are:

You guys are amazing!

Speaking of amazing...Thank you guys for 200k!!! Love you all!!!
So until next time...
Read a book and stay in school!!
Lol, xoxo
Laters baby!
-juju