35•Rivalry

Drip. Drop. Drip. Drop.

The water dripped from the top of the cave, reminding me of Juvia which then reminded me of the guild. I sighed, turning to lay on my side. I didn't know how long it had been since I had been held captive.

Stupid! Idiot!

How could you let this happen!

I tried a lot. Stretched my brain like an elastic rubber band but still failed to find an escape plan. I was exhausted. My hair was sticky and dirty, my skin smeared with mud in places and eyes droopy. I was on the verge of falling asleep but I couldn't! I forced myself to stay awake, not wanting to miss a single chance at escaping. But that was out of my hands. Sleep took over me, however hard I fought.

My eyes fluttered close and a few strands of my greasy hair hung over my face. I had hoped that I would see Kira like last time- even if it was only a dream. It felt real to me. Being so close to her, after  all these years. Learning more about the world and her past from her words.

I admired her for she could make horrible things so fun. She actually made me like vegetables when I was six years old! She also never talked about dark magic as a bad thing that could ruin the world. And I knew that she had gained many enemies for that.

I wasn't exactly asleep, but I wasn't awake either. It was like I was in a comatose condition. I could hear and feel everything that was going on around me but I was too tired to move an inch. That was until I heard footsteps.

I tried forcing myself to get up but the fatigue had gotten to me and I couldn't do anything but lay down.

I heard the sound of someone panting, then the jiggling of keys and finally the click of an opened lock. The footsteps got closer to me and I felt a presence beside my sleeping form.

"Hey, Y/n!" I heard a whisper- someone with a soft voice sounding quite demanding. I felt a light hit on my cheek but that didn't make me open my eyes.

"Hey, hey, Y/n, come on. Wake up! Please!" A few more gentle slaps on my cheek. I wanted to cry out to the person and ask them to help me but I couldn't.

The person gasped as if realizing something and I felt their hands brush against mine. He was now kneeling down behind me, I felt his hot breath against the back of my neck that was revealed since my hair was sprawled under the side of my face.

"Damn these cuffs," the person behind me who I now knew was a guy, muttered. He freed my hands from the metal loops and a sudden spark of energy made me jerk upward. Or at least I felt like I did, but I was still on the ground, half asleep.

"Wake up, please. You hear me Y/n? We- I... need you now," I felt a hand stroke the hair of my face and my eyes blinked open.

I groaned as soon as the massive headache and nausea hit me. He helped me up and handed me a bottle of water. I gulped it down quickly, and sighed in relief when I felt a bit better.

"Fre-Freed," I murmured and looked at him with tired eyes. "You're fine, right? Did anythin-" he cut me off with a smile and nod.

"You're the one who looks ill. I'm sorry, it's my fault. I should have been more careful," his eyes looked cloudy, like there was a lot on his mind.

"You know that's rubbish. It wasn't anyone's fault," I said, although mentally I blamed myself. If I said that out loud, he'd just deny it and try making me feel better.

"You're right," Freed smiled as he stood up. I felt myself grow nervous as a light blush covered my cheeks. I was in a dark, cold cell with almost no luck on my side but I felt happy. I was glad because he was with me and I knew that sounded selfish but I couldn't help it.