Just Breathe...

"Oh, honey, you don't do anything in halves, do you?"

"What do you mean?" I asked, panic coloring my voice. "Did I do something wrong? Should I not know them?"

She shook her head and held my gaze. "No, you didn't do anything wrong. You've been so sheltered, you don't really know who the Blackbourne team is, do you?"

"Am I supposed to? Who are they?"

"It must be at least 10 years now," she began. "Owen Blackbourne and Sean Green were two of the youngest recruits to ever graduate from the Academy. They were barely in their teens."

"That's very young," I said, thinking back to how intense my own training had been, and I hadn't started until my late teens.

"Yes, they were very young, and very driven. In just a few years, they put together one of the largest teams the Academy has. Since then, they've grown into one of the most successful and respected teams. And not just in our region, either. "

I tried to reconcile the men I'd met and had dinner with to the group that Lily had described, but I was having a difficult time doing it. "But they act, well, I'm not sure if I'd say normal." I laughed, "you just met Gabriel and Luke. They didn't act like they're on some, I don't know, hot shot team."

"No, those two didn't act like that, and the two I met the other day didn't either. I think it's because they're such a tight family. They work with others on assignments, but they're known for keeping to themselves. Now that I think of it," she paused, "I'm not sure I've seen them at any of the big Academy events for several years." She paused and gave me a speculative look. "I wonder if that will change."

"Why would it change, if they're known for keeping to themselves"

"Because, my dear, they appear to have taken an interest in someone outside of their family, which is something I've never heard of happenin' before."

I shook my head. "I'm sure that's just because I'm helping one of them with a project. Kind of like an assignment."

"Mmm hmm. An assignment. I suppose that's why you're signed up to take a Date Night Sushi Class with them next week," she teased, emphasizing date night. "And why you're invited to their family movie night tonight? Come on, baby girl, let's get you home so you can get ready for your boys," she drawled, her eyes sparkling with laughter.

+++++

"I can do this, I can do this, I can do this" I repeated to myself under my breath like it was a mantra. I want to spend more time with them, why does this have to be so hard? Just get out of the car, ring the bell.

I sat there, frozen in fear, unable to let go of my steering wheel. My fingers were wrapped so tightly around the leather covered wheel that my knuckles were white. All of the feelings of excitement I had earlier about going to movie night at Victor's had turned to dread, and my stomach felt like there was a lead ball sitting in it. My fear was irrational, I knew that, but that didn't make it any less real. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes. I wanted to go, but I was scared to. Victor's number was in my phone. I could send him a text saying something came up, that I couldn't make it tonight. I could drive back home where I was safe. I put my head down on my hands, willing my mind to stop whirling and my breathing to slow down. I sat there with my eyes closed, my head slowly rocking from side to side on my hands. A sharp knock on the window startled me out of my trance.

"Sang?" the voice asked. "What's wrong, Pumpkin?"

I looked up at the person standing next to my car. "Sean?"