The Unintended Consequences of Working Late

Sang's POV

*tapping my finger against my lips* Where are you hiding? I know you're in there, buried in the standard transactions... I'm going to find you, no matter how long it takes. I glare at the multiple monitors on my desk, looking for the pattern in the data streams that will help me uncover where the illegal transactions are hiding. The strains of the Benedictine Monks float in to my ears from the ear buds I am wearing. Usually the music helps me to concentrate and get in my "analysis busting zone," but it doesn't seem to be working tonight. Frustrated, I rub my eyes and push away from my desk. I need something cold and sweet, I think to myself. I stretch and put my heels back on. Thankfully the small kitchen used by Academy members who work in the building isn't very far from the Analysis Department, but it wouldn't look good if I was caught walking the floor in my stocking feet. I'll have to pass a couple of conference rooms, but it's late, so there shouldn't be anyone there. I know I should work on getting over being such an introvert, but it won't happen overnight. Rome wasn't built in a day, I laugh to myself. Lily and the guys always called me their little introvert. My heels tapping on the hardwood floors, I turn the corner and reach the kitchen without seeing anyone. Heading to the refrigerator, I opened it and bent over to pull out one of my cold Frappuccino coffees that I keep on the bottom shelf. I stand up, bottle in hand and turn around, only to run straight into a tall, very taught male body. Startled, I look up in to a pair of silvery grey eyes set in one of the most handsome faces I have ever seen. I gasp, the bottle slips from my grasp.

Mr. Blackbourne's POV

I arrived at the Academy's newest office building ahead of the scheduled time for our family meeting to scout out the area and get the lay of the land. We didn't usually meet at Academy offices, but it wasn't far from the hospital and we needed to work around Sean's schedule. It was after normal work hours, so most of the office lights in the renovated loft building were off and the floors were empty. Not all Academy members had as hectic schedules as my team did, I thought, as I passed through a dimly lit open seating area and headed to the 3th floor of the loft building where the private conference rooms were located. I settled in to a chair in the first conference room and pulled out my laptop to make some notes. Intent on my report, but never unaware of my surroundings, I became aware of a slight tapping sound. Rather strange, this time of the evening. I glanced up but didn't see anyone through the open doorway. Locking my computer, I stood up and looked out of the conference room. Turning my head towards the tapping sound, I saw a figure in the shadows turn the corner. I quietly walked out of the conference room, following behind the figure. This person wasn't even aware that I was in behind them. What kind of Academy trained professional would be so incompetent to be so unaware of their surroundings and be walking so noisily, I thought. Unacceptable behavior. The person turned in to what appeared to be a small kitchen, but didn't bother to turn the overhead lights on. I slid behind the person, knowing I would startle them, but I was determined to make a point that you must be aware of your surroundings at all times, even in an Academy building. The refrigerator door opened and I could see the outline of my intended "target." I almost groaned out loud as I saw it was a feminine figure. A very shapely feminine figure encased in a snug black skirt, bent over to retrieve a bottle from the bottom of the refrigerator. She straightened up, with her hand on the open the refrigerator door and turned to leave, only to run right in to me. By the light coming from the refrigerator, I saw that she had dark blonde hair to her shoulders, pale skin and light green eyes. She was stunning. And stunned. She gasped, the bottle she was holding began to slip from her fingers. Without taking my eyes off of hers, I reached out and caught the bottle.  I looked at her with a slight smirk, my eyebrow raised. "Yours, I believe?"