Business At Hand

Mr. Blackbourne's POV

"Do any of you have any issues to bring to the table before we go over new assignments?" I asked, looking around the table at my brothers. Heads were shaking no.

"Luke, how was the cooking class at Mrs. Bahtra's establishment?" He looked up at me, shaking his head as if, as usual, his mind had drifted off.

"It was... it was good" he responded, his face coloring slightly. "It's, uh, a really good store. Should do well here."

Gabriel leaned over and poked Luke in the side. "What, you're not gonna talk about the cute bird you said was in the class with you?" he teased.

"Dude, shut the fuck up" Luke retorted, smacking Gabriel in the head. "It's not like I'll see her again. She freaking vanished as soon as the class was over, like she has Nate's ninja skills. I don't even know her last name. She was hot, though" he grinned.

I shifted the manila folders in front of me, drawing their attention back to the matters at hand. "All right then, let's go over this week's assignments, shall we?"

"Mr. North Taylor and Mr. Korba" I said, looking over to them. "Mr. Liam Anderson has requested help this week with a house that his team is renovating for a family in the neighborhood that they have just started managing."

I looked to North, "They will be in need of your construction skills, Mr. Taylor, earning you two favors." He nodded agreement.

"Mr. Korba, they will be in need of both your construction skills and, as you are now licensed, your plumbing skills. Are you in agreement with three favors for this assignment?" I asked.

"Sounds good, Mr. B" he responded.

"Excellent." I shifted the top file down to the bottom and opened the next.

"Mr. Coleman and Mr. Morgan, you are both due to renew your qualifications on defensive driving and pursuit tactics. Please contact Mr. Weiland and make arrangements."

I opened the next folder. "Mr. Lee and Mr. Griffin" I said, looking at each of them "you are both due to re-qualify on weapons and tactics." Kota nodded agreement. "Please contact Mr. Ravenstahl tomorrow to schedule range time and testing."

"Lastly, Sean, you are needed to run a CPR and AED recertification course at the hospital this week. This will be worth one favor. Do you know your availability?" I asked.

He shrugged. "Wednesday afternoon should be good. My rounds will most likely be done by noon, so any time after 2:00 works for me. I'll have enough time to grab some apple pie from the cafeteria" he grinned. His grin turned in to a yawn. "Or a quick nap."

"Excellent. That concludes our business" I said, putting the folders away. "Where are we ordering dinner from this evening?" I asked.

The cacophony of voices, each of my brothers shouting out different suggestions, amused me. I could feel the corner of my mouth turn up slightly. My family, I thought, shaking my head.