Part 51

A/N sorry I haven't updated in Forever. I just started college and I have been busy getting used to everything. With that being said I don't know how often I'll be able to update, but I'll do my best! Thanks for reading!

Ashton's POV

I grunted and stumbled back as the piece of plywood I was pulling snapped in half. Michael ran past me and pulled out a few more pieces of wood before shouting in victory. "Finally," he let out triumphantly as he snaked his body through the gap in the rubble. His figure disappeared for a moment as he made his way out of the small space we'd found Calum trapped in. He popped back in a moment later though since we now had a new challenge on our hands: getting Calum out from under the rubble.

"Your turn, mate," I said as I turned to Calum, who, though I didn't admit it aloud, was really worrying me. His head rested on the concrete with his eyes closed. The fatigue and hunger were affecting him, and I worried how much longer he could handle being out here and more specifically under all the debris.

Michael began pulling pieces of wood from the middle of the pile off first, which weren't hard to remove. After a few minutes, however, we were beginning to notice that this strategy was going to take too long. We needed to get Calum home not only for his health but also for his safety. A tree could fall again at any minute, and we couldn't risk spending more time here.

Calum had been unconscious while we began pulling wood from the pile when he suddenly let out a tired groan. It was as if he didn't even have the energy to be in pain, and Mike and I gave each other a worried look.

"Alright. We need to just pull him out as fast as we can," Michael said as he stepped back and surveyed the situation.

"I don't know, man. He's in a lot of pain as it is. That'll kill him," I replied nervously.

"Look, we need to get him out soon. You pull him and I'll move the wood as you do. We are close enough to moving the wood out of the way that it should only take a few seconds."

"Ok," I sighed after mulling over his plan. "Yeah, let's do it."

I looked down at Cal, who was barely conscious and unresponsive. I grabbed him under his arms while Michael positioned himself to move the plywood by Calum's feet.

"1...2...3," Michael counted. "Go!"

I pulled with all my might, trying to ignore the pain filled shouts from Calum as I did so. The next thing I knew, I wasn't pulling anymore, and my body came in contact with the ground harshly. I laid my head back and stared up at the crumbling ceiling. I listened as the sound of Michael's footsteps ran towards Calum, who I just registered was coughing and groaning. I sat up in a daze, my brain being a bit rattled from the sudden spill. I grudgingly brushed the golden curls away from my face as I looked over to Calum and Michael.

"Just lie down, mate. No rush," I heard Michael say lowly to Calum, who was struggling to sit up. At Michael's words, however, his body seemed to just give up, and he collapsed back onto the cement floor. Luckily, Michael caught his head before it smashed onto the concrete.

"Here," I mumbled as I crawled the few meters to Calum and Michael. I reached into Calum's pocket and fished out the car keys before holding them out to Michael. "Take Snoop out to the car, I'll bring Calum out in a minute."

Michael nodded firmly before hoisting himself off the ground and grabbing Snoop. He grunted as he picked the fat dog up, muttering something about the amount of food Greyson must feed him, and making his way out of the garage. I shook my head at the red-haired idiot before turning back to Calum and sighing. "Alright," I breathed as I took in Calum's state. He was lying flat on his back with his arms strung lazily over his face. He was breathing deeply, but not in a sleep sense. It was more like he was trying to keep his breathing steady in order to manage the pain. I grimaced at the sight. "What are you feeling right now, mate?"