Part 47

Michael's POV

I usually loved storms. The memories of running around as a kid of the rain making my backyard into a waterpark. I remember splashing around in the puddles or surfing with that extra spritz of rain drops keeping you refreshed. I loved the dull thumps on the roof as the drops of water pounded down almost rhythmically as I laid my head down to fall asleep. I even loved when the power went out- how I could put the phone away and not have to worry about missing a call. I loved just being surrounded by my best mates and enjoying their company as we enjoyed the chaotic tranquility of the storm. With this storm, though, things were different. 

The moment Ashton and I entered into the storms' menacing winds, I knew it. The rain wasn't falling; it was being thrown at us angrily, making my skin sting from the impact. Everything from leaves to trees to even pieces of houses covered the ground as we made our way to the end of our driveway and onto the road. Everything seemed more grey, and it made my skin crawl. But, even with that being said, I somehow felt safer outside than I did in the house. 

It's a selfish and sick thing to think, truthfully. I had left one of my best mates and two of the coolest girls I've ever met- not to mention one who was in need of medical attention- alone in a place that made me feel less safe than being outside in a hurricane. But that was the thing about this storm, it wasn't like all the rest. It was worse. I loved storms, but this storm changed the way I felt about them. This storm made me feel unsafe in my own home. It made my home something new; it made me see it for it's physicality rather than what it was to me mentally. 

The house was now merely some wood, metal, and plaster, though it used to be my home. Now, it was just a danger; it was something that in an instant could fail and kill everyone it was meant to keep safe. And I, being the coward that I was, left, leaving three people who I cared about more than anyone else alone to fend for themselves. 

"Mike, watch out," Ashton half-shouted, yanking me by my sweatshirt sleeve. I shook myself out of my thoughts and noticed that I nearly walked straight into a power line. 

"Thanks," I muttered to Ashton, who just sighed and shook his head, keeping his focus on the road in front of us. Even with his hood up, his dirty blond curls were soaked and stuck to his forehead. Drops of water built on their ends before rolling down his face. Ashton didn't speak as we fought the uphill battle against the storm. 

Climbing over fallen tree after fallen tree, we finally caught sight of the Tremain's house. "Is that our Jeep on the side of the road?" I thought aloud as I squinted my eyes to try to see clearly with all of the water blurring my vision. Why would he park all the way at the road? Greyson and Sadie's driveway was a good 60 meters long. 

"At least we know he made it to the house," Ashton said almost rudely, though I didn't take it seriously. We jogged the rest of the way to the driveway before reaching the car. I pulled at the handle in hopes of being able to get out of the rain for a moment, but the door was locked. Ashton seemed to not have any luck either as he banged the window frustratedly and resting his forehead against the cold glass. 

I looked toward the driveway before hitting Ashton, whose eyes were closed in what I guessed was exhaustion. I was at a loss for words, even words to get Ash's attention, so I just continued to hit him as I continued to stare at the sight. "What, Michael? What?" Ashton yelled frustratedly after I hit him for about the tenth time. He finally picked his head up from the car to stand beside me, but he froze at the sight in front of him. 

There were trees lined the length of the driveway, which explained why the Jeep was left up on the road. But beyond the trees was what truly rendered Ashton and me speechless. The probably multi-million dollar house on the cliff was gone, replaced by a pile of driftwood standing a good 30 meters high. The house was destroyed, ravaged by a fallen tree that won the battle all too easily. And our friend Calum was most likely somewhere under the rubble. 

"Calum!" Ashton screamed brokenly as he took off into a sprint towards the remains of the Tremain's home. I stepped in front of him, using all of my strength to hold him back. He fought me hard, and I was about to lose my grip on him when he collapsed into my chest. I grabbed him into a hug, struggling to hold him upright. His breath was labored, but then again so was mine. I wasn't going to let myself cry, though, not when Ashton needed me to be the strong one. 

Ashton and Calum were always the closest out of all of us. They were always the chilled out ones, and the more responsible ones. It had always been that Luke and I made the mess, and Ash and Calum cleaned it up. They were the best when it came to things like that, and even with our surfing lessons, they were always the customers' favorites. They always had a good laugh, and they weren't the same people away from each other. "What if he's in there?" Ashton said into my chest, his voice cracking and breaking further with each word. 

I bit my lip, trying to steady my voice and hold in the tears myself. I squeezed my eyes shut and shook my head, not allowing my mind to go to such a dark place. "He's okay," I said trying to sound confident. "He has to be; he's Calum. He's like a cockroach- you can't get rid of him no matter how hard you tried." I felt Ash's body shake as he let out a sob. I didn't know if I'd be able to keep it together if this went on.

"I need to go find him, Mike," Ash sniffed finally pulling out of our embrace. "I-I need to know he's okay."

I looked around, the sky seemed to be even angrier than before, and the pieces of the house that littered the property seemed to taunt us. "You need to be careful," I shouted over the thunder that shook the ground. "I have to go back to the bungalow; we promised them that one of us would be back." He nodded his head, a look of shear determination taking over his features. We pulled each other into a hug for a moment before he released me and turned on his heel, jogging up to the first tree and climbing over it. I took a few steps backwards before turning and beginning to jog back down the road and back to the bungalow.