Part 16

Greyson's POV

I was woken up by Sadie jumping on my bed. "Time to go!" she yelled in a sing-song voice. The boys are already in the water, and you promised Ashton!"

I groaned but threw my bed sheets off anyway. Sadie smiled before running out of the room. "Grab me my medicine, Sadie," I called after her as I painfully made my way down the stairs. The attack happened nearly a year ago, but the pain is constant. It's worst in the mornings and when it rains, but the running helps a lot.

I walked into the living room and then the kitchen, Snoop's head perking up at my entrance. Sadie handed me my meds as she walked past me, telling me she'll meet me out there. I watched her bubbly figure out the window as she jogged down the beach to the surfboard the boys left out for her. I fed Snoop and changed into my usual running clothes before making my way out after her.

I jogged the whole way down, slowing down as I reached the shore. "Good morning, Greyson!" I heard the boys faintly shout from the water. I looked to see them all sitting up on their boards waving. I laughed and waved back before gesturing to the area around me.

"He's inside moping!" I think Calum yelled. I nodded my head before making my way up the beach.

I had to climb over the massive fallen palm tree and up the stairs. I walked in to the run down bungalow to find an empty kitchen and living room. There was a plate of muffins which I helped myself to. "Hello?" I called dragging out the "o". I heard the sound of Luke's crutches, making me smirk in satisfaction as I sat at the dining room table.

"Greyson?" Luke asked as he entered the kitchen and took sight of me at the table.

"What's up?" I asked as I took a bite from the muffin. "I came to watch some surfing, but my commentator was nowhere to be found."

"Greyson, I'm really not in the mood to watch surfing right now," he grumbled.

"Oh c'mon," I sighed exasperatedly. "I haven't seen you in three days, and all I wanted is to sit on the beach and hang with you, and you're turning me down?" I gave my best puppy dog face, causing Luke to sigh and run a hand through his blond hair.

"Fine, let's go," he said finally, causing me to cheer and stand from my seat.

"So where have you been?" he asked me as we made our way down the beach.

"I've not been feeling well," I said looking down.

"You're all better now, though?" he asked concerned.

I looked out at the water, nodding my head slightly and smiling. "Yeah, I think I'm getting better."

We sat down and began to watch the guys and Sadie surf. "So, tell me why you, Mr. I Love Surfing, didn't want to come watch his best friends surf this morning," I said smiling.

He sighed looking down and began drawing squiggles in the sand in between his legs. "I hate watching them surfing, and knowing I can't join in. It's only been 3 weeks, and I have to wait six before I can get back out there. God, it sucks," he said throwing a handful of sand at the ground.

I knew how he felt. I went through it when I sat at home, recovering from the attack and watching my friends and family surfing just outside my window. It was a main reason I left Lahaina; I couldn't take having to constantly be around surfing. Everyone would ask how I was dealing with things, and I'd have to pretend that I was fine- that I had more in my life than surfing. But, I didn't. Surfing was everything to me.

"It's only a few more weeks, Luke," I said laughing softly. Unlike me, Luke would be back in a few weeks. I would never be able to get back in the water.

"You don't get it, Greyson," Luke sighed angrily. I was caught off guard; he'd never spoken to me like that. "You've never had to sit by and watch people getting to do the thing you love."

I knew he didn't know any better, but something in his words made my chest tighten and fists clench. He acted as if he'd known everything about me, and he thought that I was just some stupid girl who could never understand him. "You're right, what was I thinking," I muttered sarcastically as I slowly stood up.

"Where are you going?" he sighed looking up from the sand.

"Home," I said before turning and leaving. He tried to call after me, but I ignored him and kept walking. He thought he was the only one who understood the other. He thought he knew everything about me but that I hadn't the slightest clue about him. Little did he know, it's the other way around.

I walked into the house and went to my room and slammed the door. I watched out the window as the guys got out of the water with Sadie and were talking to Luke. I shut the shade as I took sight of him. I refused to let him make me any angrier. I took some deep breaths before going downstairs and making lunch, trying to get my mind off of how much of an idiot Luke was.

"Grey?" I heard as I finished cutting one of the sandwiches.

I turned to see Sadie cautiously walking into the kitchen. "Hm?" I asked.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah," I said as if nothing happened. "Fine."

"Grey," Sadie sighed sadly. "What happened with Luke?"

I put down the knife I was about to use to cut the sandwich I'd made Sadie. "Luke said that I didn't understand what it was like to have to stand by and watch people do the thing you love when you can't join in," I said plainly, but some bitterness seeped through. I picked up the knife again and cut into the sandwich. "I get he doesn't know or anything, but I was mad that he thinks he just knows everything about me. He shouldn't assume things like that."

I passed her her sandwich angrily. She was taking in my words when I saw the same anger fill her eyes. "Oh, I'll kill him," she muttered.

"Sade, calm down," I sighed.

"No, he needs to understand that he can't just assume things like that about people!" Sadie yelled. "I'm going to give him a piece of my mind," she muttered as she turned to walk out.

"At least take your sandwich with you," I called after her, trying to ease some of the tension. She chuckled lightly before turning around and grabbing her sandwich.

"I'll be back later," she called over her shoulder as she left. I laughed slightly at my little sister. No matter how angry she was, I could never take her seriously. I just wish I could be in the room when she lost it on Luke...