“Will’s being mean!” Sonnet said.

                “Sonnet kicked my legos!” Will said.

                “Drop those lightsabers right now! Both of you!” Grace said, placing her hands on her hips and shooting them both a stern look.

                Will scowled and let the lightsaber fall to the ground. He sulked over to Sonnet, holding his hand out.

                “Give it to me,” he commanded.

                Sonnet looked at the toy in her hands before whacking Will in the ribs with it. He yelped and leapt away from her, rubbing his ribs.

                “That’s for calling me stupid,” Sonnet said triumphantly, dropping the lightsaber to the ground.

                “Sonnet!” her mother cried in horror. She hurried over to Will, pulling his shirt up and inspecting the bruise forming on him. “Oh, William, are you okay?!”

                “You brat!” Will snapped, the scowl reappearing on his face. What right did Sonnet have to hit him like that? He was 8 years old! He was practically an adult, and she was just some stupid 5 year old kid!

                “Stop it! Both of you!” Grace said. She pulled Will’s shirt down and sighed. “Will, those lightsabers are not to be used as weapons! Don’t chase your sister with them!” She turned to Sonnet and went over, lifting the little girl into her arms. “And you? You’re going in time out. You don’t hit your brother!”

                As her mother carried her out of the room, Sonnet stuck her tongue out at her brother. The jerk thought he was too good to play with her.

                Will rubbed his ribs, sitting on the floor and scowling at his legos. “She’s the devil,” he grumbled, picking up a lego and beginning to rebuild his previous creation.

#2- Dimitri and Kim

                Alexei Ivanov pushed open the door to his son’s room. Dimitri was pulling his hair into spikes on his head, his hands lightly coated in hair gel.

                “Are you almost ready for school Dimmy?” he asked. It wasn’t a traditional Russian nickname, but Alek had always called Dimitri that, and Dimitri seemed to like the nickname.

                Dimitri looked up and nodded. “Yes, father.”

                “Are you nervous? It’s your first day at a new school,” Alexei said.

                “I’m not nervous,” Dimitri said with a shrug, pulling up the last bit of loose hair into a spike.

                Alexei took in his appearance. The 8 year old boy was wearing tight, bright green jeans, a pink shirt with a yellow vest over it, and purple Converse. His light brown hair was styled in messy spikes.

                “Do you think I’m weird, dad?” Dimitri asked, a grin tugging at his lips as he glanced at his reflection in the mirror. “You’re staring at me.”

                “I don’t think you’re weird,” Alexei said honestly. “I think you’re expressive.” He and his wife had discussed Dimitri’s appearance many times, wondering if they should try to be more controlling over what he wore. But in the end, they had agreed to let him dress how he pleased, so long as he was happy.