"We will retreat!" Xalvador commands gruffly and its clear to hear frustration and hurt in his voice. 

After a tiring and slower journey of five days we return back to the pack house. The entire atmosphere is thick and tensed. There are whispers all over about the incident.

I lay Mary gently on her bed and once again look at now lifeless body and face. She looks so broken. Is the mate bond that powerful? I sigh as I leave her room. I rush to the open grounds where Xalvador is discussing the entire incident with the other wolves. Almost the entire pack house has assembled, Elizabeth standing beside Xalvador.

"Alpha something is not right." Elizabeth says and Xalvador gives a curt nod.

"Yes." We have lost so many warriors today. Its grieving." Another wolf from the crowd speaks.

There are whispers and hushes as the crowd debates and discusses when a defiant voice speaks,

"Alpha we think you were too over confident! You took this attack lightly because as we see until now, Silver Wood's was a weak pack." A dark, muscular man speaks from behind and many whisper in affirmation.

"Yes, you should have been cautious! We have lost our family because of your inefficiency to defend your pack." Another voice joins in. Xalvador stays silent as if in deep thought.

"How could you go let them die? You should have at least brought back their bodies. They deserve to be buried in the river because they died warriors!" This time a woman speaks.

"It was really irrespon-"

"Wait!" I don't know what comes over me but I just blurt out the word before thinking. The crowd parts as I walk ahead to address them properly.

"How can you just sit here and blame your own Alpha for the loss of his own wolves?! If he had taken the attack lightly, he wouldn't have gone himself. The attack was planned. We were halfway in the pack land but then the most bizarre thing happened, about which you already know of. Yet, you are all accusing your Alpha. Can't you see he himself is bruised badly? Leading a pack for a journey of days is not an easy job. He has not slept since four nights because he was up guarding the bruised warrior wolves. Do you not know how to acknowledge and respect the actions of the Alpha? We have lost someone and we are all in utter sorrow.

But now is not the time to sit and blame. We need to find out what gave those wolves just speed and agility so as to kill so many of us so fast! Please, I request you all to understand the delicateness of the situation and help each other to investigate the matter!" I say maintaining eye contact with the crowd. One by one, the wolves lower their eyes and nod in agreement. The woman from earlier speaks,

"I apologize Alpha. I was so grieved by the death of my son that I rose to disrespect you." She says and Xalvador shakes his head. 

"I understand. I will avenge the death of your son and everybody's loss. You all have my word." He says and gets up, walking stiffly to his office.

"Xalvador wait!" I call out and run after him.

"You need to rest. Working right will not yield any good. You are exhausted. Take some sleep and that will help you to reach the root of this problem." I explain, gazing at his huge dark circles and his tired face.

"She is right Alpha. You must rest. A tired mind does not bring any fruits." Elizabeth adds and Xalvador nods. He walks to the room and Elizabeth motions me to follow him. 'He needs you right now' she mouths and I head after him, taking a breath.

As he lays down on the bed, I see his eyees lost somewhere in thought. I lay beside him, moving my hand on his eye lids so that they close.

"We will sort this out Xalvador. Sleep for a while." I whisper and he sighs, his heart beat getting even by every second. I close my eyes too, resting as his arm wraps around me pulling me close.

A light knock startles me and I immediate run to open the door, in order to not wake Xalvador. I am surprised to find Maisie standing outside, looking uneasy.

"Maisie what's wrong?" I whisper.

"Luna I am sorry for my behavior earlier. But right now I must show you something. Please accompany me." She says in a rushed tone and I'm left confused.

I really apologize for such a delay in posting the chapters. I kinds am stuck with a lot of study and work these days so I barely get time. I'll definitely try harder next time to post the next chapter as soon as possible. So just bear with me. 

I hope you all liked this chapter. Please ignore or at least forgive the typos since I didn't get time for editing this chapter. I'll do it soon I promise. Thanks and keep reading nerdies!