New Acquaintances

"So how did you get here?" Emily asks me and I tell her the whole story.

"Wow!! You are an elemental!" They all exclaim at the same time.

"Yeah. What about you guys? Are your families from the pack?" I try to change the subject.

"Yeah we three are friends from childhood. Our fathers are among the high ranked wolves in the pack." Sandra says proudly and I nod.

"That's fantastic. Then why do you guys like you know work here?"

"Oh those are Alpha's orders. He wants the entire pack to be active. We train in the morning and then help in the pack house's chores. We are not allowed to train full time as we still not 20 yet." She explains and I nod.

"Oh so he doesn't allow anyone less than 20 years to go for pack fights too then?" I question and they nod.

"Yeah Alpha Xalvador is very protective, especially for women and children." Sandra says and Fiana nudges at me. I shut her off and our conversation ends there as people start to arrive for dinner. I look at Xalvador at dinner and imagine him being protective of women and kids. He looks at me and I turn my head away so fast, it actually hurts. 

"Axel, Liam meet me in my office after dinner." He commands and the Beta and Liam nod.

The rest of the dinner passes by quietly and I am the first one to finish my food. I get up and feel Xalvador's eyes on me till I exit the room.   

I go to the back of the house and stretch out. Its empty as everyone is in the dining room. I replay the events of the day in my head, feeling confused than I was before. I train for about an hour and a half and then go back in the house utterly tired. As I walk past Xalvador's office, I hear voices. 

"They are becoming more and more confident everyday. We have to put an end to this. We will leave  for the attack tomorrow night. Call the unit heads and brief them." I hear Xalvador's gruff voice.

"Okay Alpha. What's the plan? How are we going to attack?" Beta asks next.

"My sources tell me the south west border of their land is the most vulnerable. Rough, uneven and covered with a thick forest. That will be our entry point. Remember, our aim is to make their Alpha surrender. Take care no innocent lives are lost." Xalvador says and my stomach flutters again. I clench my eyes to cease the feeling and listen on. I wonder who are they talking about.

"But Alpha. The pack was one of most cowardly ones, I wonder what lead to their sudden courage, that too against a pack like ours." Axel says.

"The first thing that comes to mind is that they might have made allies. Strong allies. They have got back up and that means we need to be extra careful." Xalvador concludes in a confident tone and I decide to walk away. I don't want them to think I was eaves dropping on them.

I settle in Xalvador's room and sit by the window. I imagine leaving for wherever Xalvador is planning to. And then I imagine a pack fight. That would be the first time I will fight for anyone apart from me.

"You should have come inside." Xalvador's voice comes suddenly from behind me  and I jump slightly, startled. He knows again!

"I don't know what you mean." I play dumb.

"Yes you do. Outside the office." He states and I curse the mate bond.

"I wasn't eaves dropping or anything, I was just passing by and heard you guys talking." I say in my defense and he nods.

"I never accused you of anything, did I?" He says as he removes his shirt. I widen my eyes as I yet again marvel at what an amazing body he has. I experience the full pull of the mate bond and every nerve in my body is sizzling. I quickly look away only to catch his smug smirk. I glare at him and get under the covers on the bed and squint my eyes close. I feel sleepy in a short while due to the training. As I drift into sleep, I feel a strong arm surround my stomach and I'm pulled into a hard body. 

'I need to stop this cuddling', I mentally remind myself in an almost dozed off state.' I'll do that tomorrow', I then add.

When morning comes, I wake up after I hear the door close behind Xalvador. I already know what I am going to do for the day. I shower, get dressed from the new wardrobe Xalvador arranged for me and hop down to the kitchen. I just grab an apple and then leave the pack house, hoping I don't bump into the Alpha or Liam. I recall the path Xalvador took me through yesterday and finally reach the residential area. I walk to the last house, unsure of why I really came here.

I knock the door and there is no reply. I knock again and then stand there with my fingers crossed. The door finally creaks open and I see the small girl Mariah, standing there holding hands with Tyler. I smile and kneel down and their eyes widen.

"Lu-Luna." Mariah gasps and I quickly shake my head.

"I am not- I mean you don't have to call me Luna. My name is Arabella. You can call me that." I say and she shakes her head.

"We can't. Mama always taught us to respect the Alpha and the Luna," She says with a sad, timid expression and my heart clenches in pain.

 "Please come in." Mariah says politely and I enter. She pulls out the only small stool for me and gestures for me to sit. As I take a seat, I realize how mature she acts. Life showed her things no 7 year old should see. I see grace, responsibility and maturity in her every action. Tyler just follows her around and they both sit.

"So what do you both do here all day?" I ask and Tyler speaks after some hesitation.

"We help nana with her cooking work and then sometimes she takes us for a walk. We don't really like to go but nana insists that we are safe." Tyler says in such an innocent tone, I can't help but feel their pain. I know that the worst feeling in this world is feeling unprotected and alone. If I think life did bad to me, these kids had it worst.

"Okay. I have got you guys something." I say and retrieve two chocolate bars from my back pocket. I extend my hand with a smile and Tyler is about to jump for it, but  Mariah stops him. I look into her eyes, trying to convey that I am not going to hurt them. She seems to understand and with cautious steps, moves towards me. She takes the bars from my hand and I wait patiently. They both eat the bar, savoring it till the last bite and I feel content.

I spend an hour there, trying to make small talks when I finally feel Mariah letting go her tough, protective composure. Not wanting to force myself upon them, I then decide to leave. As I'm leaving, an old lady enters the house. Her eyes widen and she immediately throws a protective glance at the children. I am about to assure her when Tyler speaks.

"Nana. This is our Luna. We told you Alpha Xalvador came here with her yesterday. She gave us chocolate bars." He says enthusiastically and the lady immediately looks at me.

"I seek your apologies Luna. I didn't know you were-" She begins but I cut her off.

"Please don't call me Luna ma'am. I just came here to meet Mariah and Tyler and I'm glad I got to meet the woman who looks after them selflessly." I say with respect and her eyes soften.

"The moon never makes wrong choices." She says with a smile and pats my shoulder. Not understanding her, I take my leave. 

Just as I reach a few distance from the house, a huge wolf pounces on me. Having quick reflexes, I dodge him but his paws scratch my right arm. I get up, taking a defensive stance and realize there are eight of them surrounding me. Shit!