Chapter 2

He suddenly felt the urge to kiss her-hard- upon the mouth. But this- what he felt, it could never be real. Because once the ball was over, she would go back to being an assassin, and he would still be a prince. Dorian swallowed hard. For tonight, though...
He held her closer. Everyone transformed into mere shadows on the wall.”
― Sarah J. Maas

Chapter 2

Jess called in sick, due to a massive hangover. I just laughed off the fact because that could have been me. But no, I was me in my apartment, sipping tea and watching reruns of Friends. I man down the morning shift, waiting for John to come in, but he never does. I take a second and call him, finding out that he had to go to the airport and fly to San Francisco because his mom is in the hospital. I understood and told him that I have to go. I hung up and walked back to the shop. I cleaned up some of the tables and watch the door in case someone entered.

I wiped up one last table and the phone rang in back. I rushed to pick it up and answered. It was John again, telling me to close the shop at 3. I agreed and he hung up. I set the phone down and heard the bell to the door ring. I walked to the shop and a smile was plastered to my face.

“Hey Mack,” Louis smiled, nearly melting my insides. I smiled back and replied with a hello. He ordered his food and coffee and sat down at a table by the door. I bent down and heard the bell ring. I mentally cursed, considering I was right in the middle of grabbing a new roll of receipts. I grab the roll and stand up. I smiled at the old man and lady who walked in. They ordered a cup of coffee each and I handed it to them. They connected their hands together and walked to a table. I watched and envied them. I want a love to last me a lifetime like that.

I changed the receipt paper and walked back to the bakery. I pulled out the cookies that were in the oven. The steam and aroma hit my face and the sweet smell makes my mouth water. I put in a new tray and take the pan into the front room. I place some of the fresh cookies into the display case and place the pan on the floor, under the counter. I stand and make my way to the back again.

“Louis?” I hear a deep voice come from the front room. I ignore it and hear the two talking. I hear them whispering something about ‘she’s in there’ and ‘the brown haired one’. I begin to wonder if they are talking about me, but they probably aren’t. I don’t make a big deal of it and roll out bread dough. I form it in the pan and stick the loaf into the oven.

I walk back out into the shop and grab the pan from under the counter. I glance at Louis and he smiles.

“Another cup, please.”

I nod and set the pan on the counter. I grab the coffee carafe and walk over to their table. I pour some into his cup and the other boy he’s sitting with is staring at me. I can feel his eyes burning into my skin and I begin to feel uncomfortable. I turn to meet his stare and he blinks.

“Can I get you anything?” I ask, smiling, trying to make it look like I’m trying to be professional. He just opens his mouth and closed it. I got a good chance to look at his features as he decides what he wants.

Dark brown hair, vibrant green eyes, pink plump lips. He is an actually very attractive boy.

“Can I get a cup of black coffee?”

I nod and walk back to the work station. I hear the two whisper and I smile. I pour his coffee and walk back over to them. I hand it to him and he smiles. His fingertips brush mine as we exchange the cup and I feel his warm hand hit mine. His eyes flicker up to mine and he looks into my eyes. I smile and look away.

“If you need anything, just call me.”

They nod and I walk to the back bakery. I pull the loaf out of the oven and immediately hear my name being called. I lean my head out the doorway and see Louis smiling. I smile and shake my head.