awkward

Usually I was not one to hold grudges but this kid was so extra. You know exactly who I'm talking about.

I decided not to sit with the boys at lunch today but instead to go to one of the outside tables and eat out there by myself. I got multiple stares from people, probably judging me for not hanging out with my usual crew. I didn't care though. It also didn't help that I had little girl friends and all guy friends because now that I was in a fight with one of them I had no one.

"Mind if I sit here?" I looked up to see Shawn. I nodded a little and moved over for him as he set his backpack on the table.

"What's up?" I asked him shyly, he and I were never the best of friends.

"Why didn't you sit with us?"

"I uh just wanted a change in scenery."

"Bullshit." He laughed. "But that is a good excuse."

"Honestly I didn't want to sit near Jack. I don't want relations with him anymore and if that means I have to avoid the whole team then so be it."

"Jack feels bad."

"I'm sure he does, he's a dick and finally someone didn't take his shit."

•••

I sat on the bench next to Ethan taking the stats for the team. We were playing WestView HS and were losing badly. It was 4-1.  It didn't help that Johnson had decided to sit to my right side. He kept peering over looking at the book.

"How does it feel to be on the bench J?" Ethan asked.

"Awful." He sighed.

Why is he acting like its the end of the world?
At least he is still on the team.

"Can't wait TIL I can play again." Jack said from next to me and it made me want to claw his eyes out. Was he trying to rub his privileges in my face?

Just then, the whistle blew and I looked over to see Sammy on the ground holding his ankle.

•••

Well, unfortunately Sammy had sprained his ankle so now Coach has 3 varsity players out. We sat in the gym waiting for whatever announcement he had to tell us.

I sat on the floor between Gilinsky and Brooklyn awaiting for whatever news was about to come out. I looked over at Johnson, who was arguing with Nash and he looked back at me, and we held the stare for a good 10 seconds before I rolled my eyes and looked away.

"I called you in today because I don't know what the fuck is going on with all your behavioral issues but it needs to stop immediately. I got Sammy injured, Jack out for one more game, and y/n out. It's ridiculous and I can't afford any more losses. I have come up with the genius idea to send you guys off to soccer camp to bond with each other more." Coach said resting his hands on his knees.

Everyone burst out laughing.

"Soccer camp? Dude you're kidding." Jake said pissing himself not even bothering to look up from doing his homework.

"It's at a college in Pennsylvania, I'm gonna make rooms for each of you, and it's gonna be with people you aren't close with on the team. You all need to get to know each other more instead of doing stupid things that fuck each other over. Other teams from other high schools around the country go, you scrimmage them and make new friends as well."

"Is it boys and girls?" Cameron asked raising his eyebrows. I rolled my eyes.

"Well it's like the same position y/n is in. It's mostly boys but if a team has some girls they'll bring them with their team. " Coach said giving me a look of sympathy, knowing I would be with mostly boys and little girls.

"Okay time to read of your rooming situations.
"Matt Sammy and Nate. Bradley, Grayson and Kenny. Tristan and Jai .Ethan Brooklyn and Jake.Nash Gilinsky and Cameron. Beau and Jacob. Mike and Luke . and y/n Shawn and Johnson. I tried to arrange you with someone you're not very close with, but some of you are just close with everyone. Come up to me and I'll give you your room information. We leave this Friday morning."

I looked over at Shawn and smiled at him and he got up and came over to me.

"Hey y/n, are you excited to be roommates??"

I nodded, "but I'm not so excited to have Jack in our room."

Shawn looked at me sadly but said, "I won't let him bother you, it'll be fun I promise." He said wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

Shawn and I went up to coach meanwhile Jack was yelling at someone on his phone... pacing back and forth and constantly throwing out the word "bitch!"

"Hey Johnson, quit it with the fucking language!" Mike screamed at him from across the gym and jack walked out of the side door that leads to the outside.

"Okay you guys are in room 739 in the A wing. You are right next to Nate's and Cameron's room. Don't do anything fucking stupid. There's absolutely no drinking or drugs, nothing illegal. We only play Burke Heights HS and Lincoln HS, two really good teams so this will be good practice for us. I expect you three to set a good example and I know you and Jack had a fight but I want you to set it aside for the sake of the team please. We leave in 2 days at 7:45 am. Meet in the front of the school near the Cafeteria entrance. It's a 4 hour drive and we are taking a bus so bring something to entertain you. When we get there the first day we just settle into our rooms and then you have the option of going to dinner with everyone in the college's dining hall and then go to bed. I'm not going to tell you when to go to bed cause you are 17/18 year olds. The next morning at 1:00 pm there is a game against Burke on the turf field near your dorms, then you guys can do whatever you want for the rest of the day. Sunday you play Lincoln and if you win both games you play the winner of another division at night. We leave on Monday morning so pack accordingly. I'll see you guys at practice." Said coach looking at me and Shawn nodding. We agreed to his terms and walked out of the back door, passing Johnson on the way who was smoking a blunt.

I looked at Shawn with concern." You probably shouldn't be doing that on school grounds." I told him barely keeping my voice above a whisper.

"Fuck off y/n. I do what I want, when I want, with who I want." He said rolling his eyes.

"Well coach just told us information about the camp we leave for in 2 days, I'll text in the group chat tonight going over everything. " Shawn said and he mumbled an "ok." as Shawn and I walked to our cars.