Troubling News

Sorry, short chapter!

(Annabeth's POV)

"Dad, what happened?"

He sighs. "Annabeth, I'm sworn to secrecy. It's confidential. The king is fine, if you're concerned."

I groan in frustration. "My curiosity is killing me! Please?"

"You know that I can't."

"Ugh."

I head into my room, giving Thalia a call. I need to vent to someone, and maybe she's heard something. I told her that Kronos was here immediately after talking to the gardeners.

"Wazzup, Annie?" She answers, and I roll my eyes.

"I want to know what happened between Kronos and King Poseidon sooooo bad but my dad can't tell me anything!"

"Oooh, rough. Are you sure he can't even subtly drop hints?"

"He won't budge," I grumble.

"Well, I heard that Kronos wanted something. Something big, like a ridiculous request or something," she recalls, and my mouth drops open.

"Where did you hear that?" I ask in disbelief.

"I've got my ways!"

I sigh loudly. "Ugh, maybe my dad will spill something if I'm annoying enough!" I say.

"Right. Because that always works," Thalia says sarcastically.

"Whatever. I gotta go, talk to you later."

"Bye."

"Dad, what did Kronos want?" I practically beg. He groans.

"Annabeth-"

He is quickly cut off by an announcement from the royal squire over the speakers. "The King has called for a meeting in the throne room- immediately! There is some news! I repeat; All castle residents, report to the throne room!"

"Well, I guess I won't have to tell you- maybe the king will. Let's go," he says, before turning around. "Athena? We've got to go to the throne room!" He calls to my mom.

"Alright, wait for me!" She calls from the other room, before appearing in the doorway. "Let's go."

As soon as we step into the hallway, we are immediately trampled by a huge mass of servants and residents of the castle.

"It seems that everyone is quite impatient," my mom says, and I realize that they must be dying to hear what the king has to say.

I can't blame them, because I feel the same. I can't wait to hear what happened with Kronos, because this could either mean the our kingdom is in grave danger or total safety.

We rush through the halls, swept up in the human current. I see the top of Jason's head a little in front of me, so I power forward to catch him.

Thalia is leading the two, and Jason is gripping her shoulder so they don't get separated. I join the chain, grabbing Jason's arm. He turns to look at me over his shoulder, shoots me a little smile, then looks ahead again.

My parents are trailing behind us, and they seem to have found Mr. and Mrs. Grace.

We flood into the throne room, all taking a seat in the court. King Poseidon and Queen Sally are sitting up front, and Triton is sitting in his own throne a step below them.

There is a large camera crew present, undoubtedly recording the speech and broadcasting it live to the rest of the kingdom.

Everyone whispers in anticipation, and the room is filled with noise. I take a seat next to Jason, and Thalia on his other side.

We are all silenced by the royal horn, and King Poseidon clears his throat.

"Thank you for agreeing to meet me here," he begins, looking a bit uncomfortable. "I regret to inform you that I come bearing some unfortunate news."

Nervous murmurs sweep over the crowd, and King Poseidon is silent for a moment. Then, the Royal horn sounds again, and we all grow quiet.

"Kronos, the well known mega-gang leader here in the kingdom, has issued a threat to us. He has made a request- that I turn over the crown and throne to him. I refused, and he grew angry."

Any and all sound, from tapping to whispering, is silenced instantly. You could hear a pin drop.

"He is fully prepared to strike at any moment, hoping to take the throne by force. I am very confident in our army and guards, though I will tell you all to take caution. No person or persons is to leave the castle without some form of security."

Loud gasps fill the room, followed by wide and fearful eyes.

"No one is to leave there homes without a purpose, meaning that all exercise and socializing must be done inside of a building. Everyone must be inside from 9:00 pm to 9:00 am, for safety purposes only."

The crowd has grown restless, and everyone begins talking all at once. King Poseidon looks over to the squire, who reluctantly blows the royal horn yet again.

"I guess that you could say that the kingdom is under some form of lockdown. Stay safe, citizens, and remember to report all sightings of suspicious or mysterious behavior. Thank you," he concludes, grim faced.

Everyone is silent, seemingly stunned by the news. We are in danger.

Then, all at once, everyone un freezes. The room practically explodes with frantic shouts and cries of anxiety.

I make eye contact with Thalia, who just looks at me helplessly. What are we going to do?

After a while, the king dismisses us, and we all head back to our quarters.

"Guys, do you think that Kronos will attack the castle?" I ask worriedly, and the Graces shift uncomfortably.

"I certainly hope not. But, if he does, we've got an entire army here at the castle to protect us. We'll be fine," Jason assures me, though I hear him mutter, ".....right?" nervously to himself.

And on that happy note, we disperse.

                 *******************

(Kronos' POV)

And with a rejection from the King, plan B is now up and running.

If he isn't going to give me the throne, then I will have to take it by force.

And it all starts tonight.

Watch your backs, we're coming.