The Castle

(Annabeth's POV)

"Honey, where did you put the brown duffel bag?"

"I didn't do anything with it!"

"Mom, where are my shoes?"

"In the trunk!"

"Athena?"

"What?"

The house was bustling with activity. Which is saying something, because there are only three of us.

My dad has always been a soldier. However, he was just promoted to one of King Poseidon's personal guards. Because that job requires much more time and effort, we have been moved to the castle by the royal family for convenience.

I'm excited to go to the castle. I've only seen it once, and that was when I was driven past it at five years old. I don't remember much, but I do remember that it was amazing.

The architecture alone is a huge draw. It's spectacular! I hope to design something like it, one day. I'm particularly interested in the towers, that supposedly climb toward the sky.

"Annabeth? Are you ready?"

"Almost!"

"Your mother and I will be waiting in the truck!"

We drive an old, beaten down truck. I would love to replace it, but we haven't had the money.

It is only a two seater, so while mom and dad get the driver's and passenger's seat, I get to sit in the open back, making sure none of our luggage bounces out.

I hope that we can meet the other commoners at the castle. The king has three personal guards (including my dad), which means that there are two more families, not to mention the servants.

There are blacksmiths, chefs, soldiers, maids, weavers, seamstresses, jokers, nurses, gardeners, doctors, etc, etc. The castle might as well be an entire village! This is why it must be gigantic.

After about three hours of driving, the castle comes into view.

It is extravagant, mind-blowing, astounding, outstanding, and I need to get inside!

The towers pierce the sky, the opening gates are made of barely-weathered marble, the rooftops are covered in brilliant blue shingles.

It's epic.

We drive through the front gates, and are greeted by an armed patrol of ten soldiers. My dad rolls down the window, and shows them his badge.

After a brief conversation, they let us past. We park the car, before stepping outside and heading into the castle.

Inside, we find a woman waiting for us. "Hello, I am the Dutchess Hestia! I will be showing you to your rooms," she says, smiling at us. We all bow/curtsy, but she just shakes her head.

"There is no need to bow to me- I am only human," she says with a mysterious smile.

She leads us up a long, winding staircase into a fancy hallway, bustling with activity. People dressed in white collared shirts and black dress pants run to and fro, all doing something different. They must be the servants and workers.

The room at the end of the hallway is labeled 'Chase'. This must be our room. Hestia leaves us, and we open the door and check out the room.

The room is fantastic, with two beds, one full size bed for me, and one King size bed for mom and dad.

There is a pretty bay window, with a flower box perched outside. The walk-in closet is bigger than my room back home!

But, then again, my 'room' back at home could hardly be considered a room.

Anyway, our new room is big; decorated in bright whites, calm grays, and soft blues. I love it.

I hear a knock at our door, so I quickly fix my hair (in case it is someone of importance) and go to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey, you must be the Chase guy's daughter! Annie, is it? You look about my brother's age. Seventeen?"

I raise an eyebrow to find an extroverted teen standing in front of me.

She has electric blue eyes, and short, black hair with a few blue streaks in it. She's about my height, but seems a little older. Her nose is spattered with freckles, and she wears a ton of silver bracelets on her wrists.

She is in a knee length dress, with black leggings underneath. The dress itself is white and blue, like a maid's outfit.

"You gonna stop staring and answer my questions?" She ask, snapping me out of my trance. I blush.

"Uh, yeah, I'm Frederick Chase's daughter. My name is Annabeth- not Annie, and yes, I'm seventeen. Who are you?"

"Thalia Grace, pleased to meet you. You would not believe how long I have waited to have a girl neighbor!"