The Di Angelos

(Annabeth's POV)

"Annabeth, it's time for supper!" Mom calls, and I come into the kitchen.

"What are we having?"

"Not sure. In the castle, everyone comes together in the Great Hall for a big dinner together on Fridays. We'll get to see the royals!"

I smile. "Sweet! Follow me, Thalia showed me the way to the Great Hall."

                   ******************

The Great Hall is bustling with activity. A huge table is filling the center of the hall, and the kitchen staff are running in and out and everywhere!

We find a place labeled, Chase, and sit down.

Once everyone has filed in, it's loud, and full. There are so many people here, it's ridiculous!

Soon, a loud trumpet blares, and everyone quiets down instantly, standing up tall. Mom and I quickly follow suit.

"Presenting.... King Poseidon, Queen Sally, and Prince Triton!"

Everyone claps politely as the royals walk into the room. Each is flanked by a guard or two. My father marches in on King Poseidon's right side.

"Greetings, everyone!" The King calls out, and everyone bows and/or curtsies.

"Thank you for gathering here today, as we do weekly. May the feast commence!"

And with that, servers fly out of the kitchen, each carrying four large platters. They set it down on the table, one in front of each family. There are so many of them, but we outnumber them greatly. They make trip after trip after trip.

Once given the okay, we open our platters to find beautifully cooked salmon. Our country's biggest industry is fishing, and we are heavily ocean dependent.

Some say the King Poseidon is a merman.

Others say that he just walked out of the sea and claimed the throne.

Some think that he was born of the sea, while some even consider him to possess sea calming powers.

However, those are just myths.

                   ******************

"Hey, Mom? Is it alright if I go exploring again with Thalia?" I ask, giving them my best innocent face.

"Sure, dear, but don't get yourselves lost- this is a big place! Please be back by 9:00 [pm]."

I look at the wall clock. It's 8:15. I sigh. That doesn't give me much time, but I'll take it.

"Okay, thanks. See you later!" I call over my shoulder, having already ran out the door.

What they don't know is, I'm not seeing Thalia. That was just my cover story.

I want to go back to the eastern tower.

I sneak through the hallways, before finally reaching the big door marked 'Entrance'.

Whatever they have in there must be important, or just very, very secret. The door is made of thick wood, lined with metal and covered in locks. There is a little window at the top of the door.

Making sure that no one is watching, I step up on my tip-toes and peek through the window.

It's dark, and I can't see much. Just an empty hallway.

"Hey, what do you think you're doing?"

I whip around at the sound of the voice, jumping away from the door.

Standing in front of me is a tall, scary looking man. He is very pale, with dark eyes and raven black hair. He has a dark goatee, and a permanent glare.

He is wearing an expensive ensemble, made for royalty. Crap. Is this the king?

"I-I, um..." I trail off, shrinking back.

"Dad! You've got to stop scaring people, or I'll never make any friends!" Says another voice from behind him.

This time, it is a girl. She seems much more friendly. She has long black hair, a kind smile, and is wearing a cute green jacket. She looks about my age.

"Hi! My name's Bianca di Angelo, and this is my dad, Hades. He isn't always so scary, but he likes to act like it. He's one of the King's advisors."

I swallow as his gaze softens a little bit. "I'm Annabeth Chase, we're new here."

"Well, newbie, we don't go anywhere near the eastern tower. Queen Sally's orders."

"Sorry," I mutter.

"Aw, don't worry about it!" Bianca smiles. "Where is your room?"

I tell her, and her eyes light up. "Oh, you're right next to the Grace's! You know, Thalia is one of my closest friends. I'm sure you've already met her?"

"Yeah, she showed me around a little bit."

"If she ever challenges you to a bet that has anything to do with archery, don't do it! She is an amazing archer."

I chuckle. "Noted. So, uh, what is up in the eastern tower that is such a secret?"

"No one knows, and no one asks. But, you don't have to feel bad- everyone is secretly curious about the eastern tower!"

"Bianca!" Hades reprimands her. She shrugs.

"What? Come on dad, it's true."

He grumbles a little.

"Ooh! Are we finally going up into the eastern tower?" I hear yet another voice call, and I look to see a younger boy running down the hallway to us.

He looks like Bianca, with shaggy hair like his father, and deeper set eyes.

"Who's that?" He asks, pointing to me.

Bianca rolls her eyes. "Nico, this is Annabeth. Annabeth, this is my little brother, Nico."

He sticks a hand out for me to shake. "Hi! Can you take us into the eastern tower?"

"Nope."

He frowns. "Whatever."

"Listen, Annabeth, I think that you should go back to your room," Hades suggests, and I look at the clock in the middle of the hallway.

It's 8:53!

"Uh, yeah, I'd better be going! Nice to meet you guys!" I say, waving before running down the halls.

"Bye Annabeth!" Bianca calls after me.