Stakeout

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PERCY DARLING

(Annabeth's POV)

"Hey, Annie!" Thalia greets me as she walks into her living room, where Jason and I are watching TV.

"It's not Annie!"

Thalia laughs. "It is to me!"

I roll my eyes. "Whatever," I say, clicking off the TV. This causes Jason to let out an irritated yelp.

"Um, hey! I was watching that!" He whines.

I roll my eyes. "You can watch it later."

He grumbles, but sighs in resignation.

Thalia clears her throat, looking over at me. "You know, I heard that you were poking around the door to the eastern tower."

"Where did you hear that?" I ask innocently.

She smirks. "Bianca and I are pretty tight."

Jason looks at me. "You never would've gone poking around in restricted areas if you would've been watching TV."

"You've got to let it go, Jason," I say in exasperation, though I am laughing a bit.

"Let's go to my room," Thalia suggests, sending me a look that tells me to follow her.

"Yes, finally! Get out so I can watch my TV!" Jason cheers, pointing at the door. I sigh and follow Thalia into her bedroom.

"What?" I ask, flopping down on the bed as she shuts the door. She turns to me, eyes full of mischief.

"You're curious about the eastern tower, right?"

I sit up. "Yeah."

"Well, I think I know how to learn some more about it!" She says excitedly.

"I'm listening!"

"Well, I've always been just as curious as you- always poking around that door. After a while, I realized something," she explains. "You know how only Queen Sally and her head maid, Molly, are allowed to go into the eastern tower?"

"Yeah, but we can't just sneak in with them! For one, they would see us. And, we never know when they'll go up there," I reason.

Thalia shakes her head. "At 9:00 every morning, Molly brings a covered basket into the tower. She leaves it inside of the door, and leaves as if nothing ever happened. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

My mouth drops open. "We have to be there at 9:00! But, we need to hide somewhere," I think out loud.

Thalia facepalms. "You're such a newbie! This castle belongs to King Poseidon! You know, the one that's completely obsessed with water? There's are fountains all the way down the hallway, and at every corner. We'll just hide behind those."

"Great!"

"Well, I guess we have a plan. Meet me back here at 8:50 tomorrow- and don't be late, I won't wait for you."

                 *******************

At exactly 8:49 am, I show up to Thalia's. She is already leaning against the door frame, waiting.