Indifferences

~Tobias' POV~

I walk into the living room and place my keys onto the coffee table. I stare at the space for a while and I decide that I'm tired. I kick off my shoes and walk to the bedroom where the bed is already occupied. Tris lays there with her eyes closed and even breaths. Asleep. I turn around and take off my shirt and pants. I'll just sleep on the couch. I start to leave.

"You don't have to," she says softly. "Sleep on the couch."

I look at her emotionlessly. She clears her throat.

"Look, I--"

I leave the room and walk down the hall but then a hand grasps my arm. I turn around sharply. She stumbles backwards and I catch her. Her blue-gray eyes bore into my dark blue ones. I let go of her as she stands on her own. I turn to leave again but she grabs my hand. Electricity shoots through my arm and I close my eyes.

"I'm trying," she confesses. "I'm trying really hard to remember okay? I am. But how am I supposed to remember us when you don't even even want to look at me. I know it hurts. How do you think I feel?"

I open my eyes and turn towards her angrily. "I felt like I've lost you. I didn't forget you, you forgot me!"

"It's not my fault! At least I'm trying. You're not trying hard enough!"

She begins hitting me. Of course it's not hard enough to injure me. Her small fists strike my chest as I move backwards.

"All you ever do is just sit there and look angry. Like a- like a stupid, stupid gnome protecting a garden or something! What's this about? Do you not love me anymore!" With each syllable she strikes me.

"I--"

She cuts me off. "You know marriage is for better or for worse right? You can't just leave when times get--"

I grab her face in my hand and I can almost feel the exact moment her breath hitches in her throat. Goosebumps rise into my skin as I touch her. I lean and her eyes close. A piercing wail stops us. Her eyes fly open and I release her face. Her cheeks turn red.

"I... uh, I'll go put Raven back to sleep," she tells me.

I nod and she slowly walks away from me. I watch her. I sigh and walk to the couch, rubbing the back of my head.