The Aftermath

SUPER MEGA BIG THANKS TO NGodoy302101 BECAUSE SHE GAVE ME THIS SUPER AMAZEBALLS IDEA! You know what you guys should do? You should go follow her.

Tobias' POV:

Caleb stands next to me as we watch Tris on the bed. Raven holds onto me tight.

"Mama," she cries softly.

"She's stabilized now," Caleb says. "But she still has poison in her veins."

Tris stirs in her sleep and her eyes flutter open.

"Tris," I say.

"Tobias, I don't feel okay."

"Mama," Raven says.

Tris lifts her hand and strokes Raven's head. "Yes, baby."

Her skin is pale it looks like glass. Bags are under her eyes. Every move she makes is a weak and feeble attempt.

I look at Caleb. "You can take the poison out right?"

Caleb looks from me to Tris. "I can try but I need supplies. I tested her blood. She has traces of the memory serum."

"It's only a matter of time before she forgets something."

"Something? She would forget everything right?"

"That still doesn't make it better."

"I know that! But it's the memory serum."

"This is a different type. It has different chemicals. I-I don't know how to explain it."

Tris looks at me. "You should take really good care Raven."

Raven's eyes begin to water as if she understands the situations.

"Beatrice, you shouldn't talk like that," I say.

"Make sure you don't give her-"

"Don't talk like that."

"I love you."

Caleb clears his throat. "I have to go get the things. I'll be back in an hour maybe sooner." He looks at me. "Keep her talking. The more she talks the less chance she has of forgetting."

"What do I say?"

"I don't know. Anything!"

He walks out.

Raven begins crying. "Mama."

I hold her tight and worry fills me. "It's going to be alright, Rae. Mama will be fine."

I kiss her head.

I sit by Tris' bedside. "Remember when you made me cook for the first time?"

She laughs. "God, it was a disaster. I can not believe you had Zeke help you."

I grin. "Dauntless cake al-la-mode."

She coughs and grabs a tissue. She puts it to her mouth. When she pull the tissue away, it is covered in smears of blood.

She looks at me. "I'm dying. Again," she teases.

"It's not funny. You hit you head pretty hard."

"It's my funeral. Let me live a little." She laughs again.

"Tris, it is not funny."

"Tobias I love you. I've always loved you. I'm going to die loving you. I wouldn't want it any other way."

Raven is asleep in my arm. I close my eyes as tears brim them. Tears roll down my cheek.

Tris brushes the tears off my cheek. I kiss her head.

"I love you," I tell her.

"I love you more."

*•*•*•*•

I sit outside Tris's door as Caleb tries to take extract the poisoning from her blood.

"Tobias!"

I run in. "What? What?"

"Something has gone wrong."

"What?"

"I got the poison out but the memory serum? It set off some time of sleep chemical. She could be a in coma for weeks or months."

The heart monitor in her room begins beeping faster and faster in the room. Her body begins to convulse. I look at at Caleb in a panic. 

"Hold her down," he commands. 

I stand there like a sentimental idiot. His eyes bore into mine. I can tell that something could go wrong but I have to listen to him. He's trying to help her.

"Four, hold her down." 

I do as he says and he reaches into the metal tray for a syringe filled with an orange liquid. He looks at me. 

"It's going to subdue her," he explains. "It's going to help her. Do you understand?"

"Caleb, fix her. Fix her or I swear-"

"Stop it with the empty threats! I'm trying okay! How do you think I feel? This is my little sister!"

I sigh. "I- Caleb- Just do something!"

He injects her with the serum and her body relaxes instantly. The beeping on the monitor slows. I remove my hands from Tris' body and bite my lip. 

"Is she going to be okay?" 

My heart almost lurches out of my mouth. My hands begins to shake so bad that I have to clench my fist. 

If he didn't know, how would I?