The Symptoms

Tobias's POV:

"How can she see something that not there?" I ask Caleb.

"I don't know! This is all new to me."

"That frightens me."

"It should."

"I'm going to do some tests on the beverage inside of the cup. Keep her calm or we will be in a whole lot of trouble."

I nod walk back toward Tris, who has her eyes shut tight as she sits in front of the small, coffee table.

"What's wrong?" She asks.

"You can't even see me, how do you know something's wrong?"

"You just give off a vibe."

"Just be quiet."

"I don't want to open my eyes."

"So don't."

"But that's the thing. I want to open my eyes."

I sit next to her. "Caleb is doing some tests on the water."

She slowly opens her eyes and breathes out in relief when she sees my face. Then the color drains from her face as her mouth forms a tight line as if she's in serious pain.

She stands up quickly and I follow her movement. She staggers and I reach out to grab her. She stops.

Tris gulps. "Tobias. I don't feel so--"

Her knees buckle and she collapses to the floor, hitting her head against the coffee table. I gather her in my arms and feel her head. I pull my hands away shaking at the blood in my hands.

"Caleb," I call out.

He comes running as quickly as I call him. His expression changes noticing the body in my arms.

"We've got to get her to the infirmary," I tell him.

Caleb presses his forefinger and his middle finger against her neck. He shakes his head.

"Is she alive?" I press.

He looks at me and says in a serious tone, "barely. Forget the infirmary. We're taking her to Erudite now."