Chapter 33/What do you mean she's failed the Turing test

Start from the beginning

"That's not quite right. Think back to last week's class" said the teacher bot.

"Perhaps the humans have made a mistake, that's pretty common." said the machine "Let's reboot the interaction. We are machines from the Commission for Public Safety. These gentlemen are Bladerunners from the special security police and yes they have a special license to work. "

The Bladerunners in long coats pointed particle guns at us. I know it's a bad moment but why are ray guns always set to stun? Why are they are never set to amaze or dumbfound, stagger or even astound? I guess it doesn't sound cool when the captain says 'set your guns to flabbergast' 

"What's going on?" I asked I looked at Dante.

" differential equations, please pay attention Scarlett" said the teaching bot desperately trying to continue as if nothing had happened.

"Which one of you is known as Io Swatchkof? aka Sky-girl" said the machine.

"I am, you are Io" said Io.

The robot walked over to her and spoke in binary. Io spoke back in binary.

"That's good enough for me" said the machine. The Bladerunners nodded.

The Bladerunners pulled out their guns and pointed at Io. What was she going to do throw a pencil at them? The worst she could do is have Io prove them mathematically not to exist. The robots now went into combat mode too.  Their weapon's now drawn and exposed you were quite sure they had had some focus group look at the designs. I could imagine some facilitator saying 'which design do you think says don't mess with me most. Imagine Angela Merkel with an axe if you need to'. To a group of randomly selected members of the public looking at sketches. 

"You can't do this" I said.  

"I know the equation looks like it won't work but by using the chaining you will see it's quite possible" said the teacher bot.  

The Bladerunner came over and sat on the desk and took his sun glasses off.

"You see this little girl here failed the Turing test" said the man. "she's a machine."

"Come on she's quite clearly human" I said.

The man shrugged. "That's not my jurisdiction. the law says if you fail the Turing test then she's not human, so she must be machine. She's a machine in human form so that makes her a replicant. Now Jake and me, our job, along with these Farrage units is to takedown replicants." said the Bladerunner.

"What's going to happen to her?" said Dante still blocking the way.

"After six years she will start developing emotional responses of her own. Oh you mean just now? She's going to Police Central. There she will be processed and retired"

"Retired?" I said.

"Retired Io, recycled, like Moma and Dada" said Io.

I was shocked "Killed? hang on she deserves a fair trial. I thought this planet had laws and a constitution and stuff. ".

"It does, for people but she's a machine, machines doesn't deserve a fair trial. Machines don't get trials, other wise the courts would be filled with microwaves suing their owners for not cleaning them properly" said the Bladerunner smiling and looking at the pointy end of his ray gun.

The teaching robot added it's self to the conversation "You can't take Io away. She's my best student. I'll get the principle to stop you."

This was terrible and devistating, I thought I was the best student. Regardless I got up and stood between Io and the Bladerunners. Dante joined me.