Chapter 6 - The First Offer

Start from the beginning

"Good morning Mr. Pierce!" Ally says, her eyes focused on her screen before they turn to us. "Oh hi Liam!" she cheers when she notices me. I give her a small smile in return and nod.

"Good morning Ally!" Mr. Pierce kindly says to her. "Liam got in just as I was waiting for the lift so I told him to join me directly," he then adds, as if this had been planned.

"Oh, I guess you haven't found the note on your desk Liam this morning?" Ally asks me. What note is she talking about?

"Hmm... no... I was a bit late this morning and only just got in..." I mumble.

"It doesn't matter," Mr. Pierce says heading to his office. "Liam, please follow me." What the hell does he want with me? I start to walk behind him until he suddenly stops and I nearly bump into him again. "Ally, can you please bring us some coffee?" His tone is so gentle when he speaks to her.

"I... I don't need coffee... thanks..." I say, as clearly as I can. My heart is already thumping in my chest; if I drink coffee, the whole building will get to hear it.

"Ally will bring you some water then. After you, young man," he says, once again gesturing for me to walk in first before he follows me and shuts the door.

I am not sure about what I should do. For God's sake, I don't even know what I am doing here! His office is ridiculously huge as I had expected the first and only time I went to this floor. There seems to a private bathroom on the left and there is a long leather couch on the rest of the wall adjacent to the meeting room and a coffee table. The other two walls are made of windows with a beautiful view on Chicago. At the back right of the room, there is a long half U-shape desk with what seems to be a very comfortable office armchair against the window and two not any less comfortable guest chairs. Just in front of me, there is also a small round table surrounded by four similar guest chairs. It must be really agreeable to work in such an office...

"Please Liam, take a seat at the table," he says as he takes off his jacket and hangs it. I do so and drop my bag against the table foot. I quickly peek at his broad back but immediately lower my gaze when he turns around and takes a seat across from me. I fiddle with my fingers while he silently switches on his laptop and logs in. "So, Liam," he says with a gentle voice while typing onto the keyboard, "how are you doing this morning?" Really?

"Er... I'm fine Sir..." I reply but my own voice is barely audible.

"Liam, I want you to be honest. You don't look that fine. You look rather nervous and stressed," he says, looking up from his screen once he has apparently found what he was looking for.

"Hmm... Well... I'm not sure what I am doing here... If this is about yesterday's mess, I'm sorry Sir... I..."

"I haven't summoned you for a lecture Liam. And please, relax. What happened yesterday was nothing. I wanted to meet you because I have an offer for you. Just give me a second while I look at your HR file since I just received it." Wow, wow, wow... What is he talking about now? An offer? For what? Ally walks in at that moment, with a grin on her lips at my attention, and puts a mug of coffee and milk next to Mr. Pierce and a bottle of water in front of me. "Thanks Ally," he says, still reading on his screen. I whisper a quick thank you to her before she walks out of the office, winking at me when she shuts the door. "Good!" he then says, pushing his laptop to the side. "Your school and university records are pretty impressive, Liam!"

"Thank you, Sir..." I try my best not to stutter, but his eyes really affect me.

"Why didn't you pursue your studies? Did you really want to become an assistant?" he asks, frowning his dark eyebrows. "You could have followed much higher studies with such grades."