Monster

They put us in cages. Mutants. Monsters. We were the hybrids who deserved to die. They poked us like pin cushions and held us down with restraints. They didn't care about our pain. They didn't care about them.

They didn't care about me.

I watched as one by one they died. Tortured to death in these blank rooms. One by one they left, until it was just me. I had survived the tests. The torture. I survived everything.  Scars marked my body like tattoos. They didn't care about me. I was a mutant. I was a monster. But I was normal too.

I had the skin of a human. The body, the mind. Why did I have to be this way? Different I mean. But at night I was put deep down in the building where the moonlight never showed. In a dark room was where I stayed. Alone and afraid. I felt different at nights. Smarter, stronger. They restrained me in the dark. My voice echoed in the small room. It was gruff and sharp. Like a bark. I wondered every night if I was normal. If I wasn't even supposed to be here.

Until tonight. When I figured out exactly what I was supposed to be.

"Get the stronger restraints!" One called. "Don't let her go!" He yelled.

I scratched and a feeling in me knew, that I had to get out. My strength had improved. I broke free and ran. Air filled my lungs as my bare feet slapped against the tile ground as I ran through the corridor. My heart thumped in my ears but I didn't stop. Their footsteps behind me only made me go faster. I came to an exit and I burst through the doors. The cold breeze that I rarely felt tickled my bare arms.

Grass.

I was running on grass. A ran until I couldn't hear their voices. Then I stopped. I glanced around. I was in a field of flowing grass. I looked up into the night sky that I had only seen in stories. There were billions of bright small balls of light. Stars? Then I saw a big one.

It was the moon.

A laugh escaped my lips as I twirled and continued to look up. Until I stopped. Something was changing.

I felt my hearing sharpen and my eye sight grew exponentially better. I could smell for what seemed like miles. I looked over and saw a puddle of water. I looked into it as the moon created a light that seemed to light up the night sky.

My eyes were yellow. And my usually black matted hair had streaks of gold in it. Then everything clicked.

I was part wolf.

I looked up at the moon and howled. Not just a small one, but one to show who I was. Who I am. I was someone with extroidinary powers. I laughed again. No one could hold me down anymore.

I remembered what happened.

They held me down.
And called me a monster.

So I howled at the moon,
To show them all.