You Are My Sunshine...

" Hey Lily."

"Momma momma!" Little five year old Lily said. Running to her mother she wrapped her little arms around the woman.

She lifted the small child into her arms and sat down. "So. How is my little sunshine?" She asked. Lily squirmed in her mother's arms until she was comfortable.

"I'm good momma." The small child layed her head on her mother's shoulder as she rocked. "Can you sing to me?" She asked with her small voice.

"Of course sunshine." She ran her fingers through Lily's hair and stopped rocking. Then she sang a song that meant everything to the girl.

"You are my sunshine,
My only sunshine.
You make me happy,
When sky's are grey.
You'll never know dear,
How much I love you.
So Please don't take,
My sunshine away."

She hummed to the small girl until soft snores could be heard.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
End of flashback
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ten years have past for the young girl but not in the best way. Her mother grew sick and weary and has been in and out of hospitals for years. Now she lie on her death bed, with her daughter just outside the door.

Lily sat impatiently by the outside of her mother's room. She prayed for her to be all right, and hoped her prayers would be answered. The white walls seemed normal for Lily. And the smell of rubbing alcohol seemed tangible as did the silence that was in the hall. Was it supposed to normal that she was used to all of it? Lilly didn't know for sure.

"Miss. Miss!" Lily snapped out of her thoughts and looked up at the face of a nurse dressed in blue scrubs. Lily brushed her earlier thoughts away and focused on the young nurse standing in front of her.

"Your mother has awaken and has requested to see you." She informed. Lily nodded an stood. Her knees popped and cracked from sitting in the uncomfortable hospital chairs. The nurse went into the room next door to care for the patient as Lily opened the brown door with a squeak. She stepped in and closed the door behind her with a click. She took a deep breath and turned, her hand leaving the door handle.

Her mother's frail body layed with tubes and needles sticking out of her. Her mahogany colored hair seemed flat and lifeless and hung around her tired and pale face. Her once bright green eyes were now dull and lifeless.

Lily made her way over to her mother's side and sat in the chair she has sat in for weeks in a row. Her mother's gaze followed her until she looked back into her eyes.

"Hey momma." Lily voiced.

She gave a weak smile. "Hey Sunshine." She said weakly.

Lily felt tears prick at her eyes. She pushed her emotions down and grabbed her mother's hand lightly. She gave a light squeeze and Lily returned the gesture. Lily looked down as a single tear slipped from her green eyes.

"Don't cry sunshine." Her mother's small voice said. Lily felt more tears stream down her pale cheeks at the sound of her mother.

"Can you sing to me momma?" Lily asked on the verge of sobbing. She picked her head up and looked at her mother.

"Of course." She shifted around and took a few deep breaths.

"You are my sunshine...." She paused and swallowed. "My only sunshine." She finished. Lily listened intently and hung on to every word she sang. "You make me happy...... when sky's are grey." Her voice cracked at the end and she swallowed again. Lily noticed her mother's difficulty and scooted closer. The heart monitor started beeping more frequently and a nurse came in. Lily looked up at the nurse worriedly.

"Miss. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The nurse said urgently. Three more nurses entered the room and before Lily could realize what was happening she was being pushed out of the room in shock. The nurse escorted the fifteen year old girl to the empty waiting room where Lily finally broke down.

"No! Please. I need to be with her!" She cried trying to turn back. The nurse try to calm her but Lily was frantic.

"No! I need to be there. I need to stay with her!" She was now almost screaming but the nurse's soothing voice was calmly reasoning with her.

Lily ended up sitting while the nurse rubbed her back in a soothing way. She waited hours and soon the nurse left. Lily wanted to know if her mother would be ok. A male doctor came out into the waiting room. Lily stood and waited for him to say something. But all he did was shake his head sadly.

And Lily was left alone.

Tell me what you think below!
Special shout out to HC083002 for giving me the idea!