❪1❫ ⋆₊˚. ᎒ just a teenage dirtbag

❝I'M THE SWEETEST GIRL IN TOWN SO WHY ARE YOU SO MEAN?❞

- Lana del Rey 

。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°。°

▍◦◦°.✽ DANIELLA SWAN HAD ALWAYS BEEN A GIFTED student. School was just one of those things that came easily to her so she never struggled to get exceptional grades. By the time she was in the second grade, she already had the reading, writing, and mathematic skills of a sixth grader. Therefore, at the young age of seven, Dani skipped four grades to keep up with her advanced learning. 

It was also around that time when she first met Serena, her best friend. 

Serena MacDonald was three years older than Dani. She was a year ahead of most people her age because her parents had put her in school earlier than other kids. That meant most of the time she was a year younger than everyone in her grade.

At first, the two girls didn't pay attention to each other. That quickly changed when they reached middle school and suddenly it was an entirely different ball game. Kids they'd known for years were suddenly changing all around them—transitioning from children to teenagers. Dani and Serena sort of became the only constant in each other's lives at that point, and as a result, they became best friends. 

They were always together. They were in all the same classes, joined the volleyball team together and would instantly Skype each other once they got home from school. The only times they weren't glued at the hip were in the middle of the night (when they were sleeping) or when Serena went on dates (she was a bit boy-crazy), or when Dani was at the skate park. 

While there were a few good skateparks in Phoenix, they were all situated directly under the scorching sun with little to no shade. So, whenever it was extremely sunny or humid outside it was an unspoken custom for the city's skaters to use a different location. An unsanctioned skatepark underneath an abandoned bridge just off the road of a fairly rural highway. 

The surrounding area was pretty much abandoned by some incomplete corporate construction projects so they could make as much noise as they wanted without anyone noticing; it was the perfect escape. 

That day was exactly that—an exceedingly sunny day and one of the only times Dani wasn't with Serena. 

Serena had gotten after-school detention because one of the drama teachers caught her making out with a senior backstage in the auditorium; apparently, they'd been there since lunch but neither of them heard the bell ring which ultimately got them caught. 

"Yo, uh, Serena's friend, come over here for a second!"

Dani had just been mindlessly skating around minding her business as she chugged her Gatorade because it was scalding hot outside. Despite the extremely blistering weather, she was wearing baggy jeans and a dark hoodie that day (evidently, she was insane). 

She removed one of her earbuds and turned. 

It wasn't the first time someone addressed her as an attachment to another person. Ever since she was a kid, people always seemed to forget her; Dani was used to it at this point.

Although, this time might have been a bit different. It was just a group of older guys from her school who'd called out to her. Dani couldn't remember their names but they definitely looked semi-familiar; she'd probably seen them at school or other skateparks before. 

Dani stopped and stepped off of her board. She kicked it up and caught it, all in one swift move, before walking toward them. 

"What?" She said, impatiently.