My Boss the Mafia

Chapter 12//You're Killing Me Smalls

I rubbed my palms over my eyes, pressing on them.

I was back at Aunt Millicent's and was currently sitting in my room, getting tired of the bright colors. I groaned and got off of the bed, trudging out to the living room. I saw Aunt Millicent was flipping through a Vogue magazine, drinking something out of her mug.

"Hey Aunt Millicent," I said, walking towards the kitchen.

"Hey April. What are you doing?" she asked. 

I looked over at her and saw that she was still pawing through the magazine. I sighed and opened up one of the cabinets, grabbing a black mug and placing it on the counter. "Just making some tea."

I heard Millicent hum and I groaned, grabbing the tea kettle and placing it under the tap, turning the water on. I watched as the water filled the kettle, listening as the water got closer to the top. I turned off the tap and placed it on the stove, turning the lighter and watching the fire spring to life. I put the burner on high and walked over to the couch, sitting next to her.

"It's already August," I said, staring at the polished floor.

Millicent hummed again and took a sip out of her mug, eyeing the magazine.

"So that means I'll be going to school soon..." I trailed off, looking at her.

"Right again," Millicent said.

I let out a frustrated sigh and stood up.

I love when people don't listen to me.

"Where are you going?" Millicent asked.

"To the kitchen, I'm pouring myself some tea," I grumbled.

"No need to get that tone with me, April. I'm just sitting here," she replied.

"Exactly," I muttered.

She sighed and I heard the magazine pages flutter and a small thunk from her placing it on the coffee table in front of her. I heard the shuffling of her feet as she walked over to me and wrapped her arms around my waist, laying her head on my shoulder.

"What are you really doing?" She asked.

I side eyed her and went back to pouring the hot water into the mug, watching the water get dark as the tea leaves steeped. 

"Wallowing in my aggression, I guess."

Millicent shifted a bit and placed her head on the top of mine.

"You can always talk to me, I'm always here," she said.

No you're not.

You're not and it hurts. Because I needed you. And you left me.

I sighed and nodded. "I know."

She kissed the top of my head and patted my shoulder. I heard her feet patter against the floor, back to the couch. I heard the rustle of the magazine pages and I rolled my eyes.

I picked up my mug and trudged back to my room, wincing at the bright colors of the wall. I walked up to the mirror and cringed at my reflection. My hair was kinked up by my scalp, I had leftover mascara smudged under my eyes, there was dried drool on the corner of my mouth and I hadn't brushed my teeth in 3 days.

___

I stretched my legs out in front of me, grabbing my computer and bringing it over to my desk. I placed it down and pulled out the rolling chair, sitting in it and pulling myself forward.

I sighed and opened the article about Millicent's fashion company.

What in the hell was going on with her.

Declan had told me something about him working in the family business, but our guardians were business partners.

I groaned and rubbed my eyes, only finding fashion articles and reviews about how high quality the company was.

I shoved myself back, crossing my arms over my chest. I could feel myself becoming angrier and angrier with a lack of answers. Everything annoyed me, the walls, the computer, Millicent, the company.

I hated not being in control.

Why couldn't I be in control.

___

"April are you okay?"

I looked up from my plate and stared at Petra. Millicent had left about 2 hours ago and wasn't back.

I just nodded my head, scooping up some noodles and putting them in my mouth.

I chewed and swallowed, looking at her. "Just in thought, sorry."

She wiggled her eyebrows at me, "about Declan?"

I rolled my eyes and scoffed, "yeah, sure."

"Are you guys together yet?" She asked me.

I glanced up at her and shook my head, laughing. "I don't really know, completely..." I trailed off.

"Well, you guys have been really close, training and hanging out," Petra said, playing with a loose string on her sleeve.

I sighed and stuffed another forkful of noodles into my mouth, glancing up at her. She took a sip of her drink with an eyebrow raised, looking at me, expecting me to say something. I groaned and swallowed my food, fully looking at her now. 

"We kissed, but that's about it. I don't know what's really happening, I think Declan wants to be together, though," I told her. 

Petra raised her eyebrows and looked up from her glass of water, wiping some water off of her lip. "What do you mean you don't know what's happening? The sexual tension while you guys fight must be pretty fuckin' strong..." She trailed off. 

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my own water, shaking my head. "Again, I don't know. I've never felt this way before, you know?" 

Petra nodded her head and continued eating, looking at nothing. She was obviously spaced out, but I didn't care. I just scoffed and ate my pasta. I ended up zoning out too, thinking about what she just told me. Do I like Declan? I mean we have kissed, he has pet names for me, I always feel butterflies when I'm around him...

I got up and rinsed off my plate, placing it in the dishwasher along with my fork and walked back over to the table, grabbing my water glass. I motioned upstairs with my finger and started walking. "I'll be upstairs, don't wait up," I told Petra. 

She mumbled something but I didn't care to listen, I just went to my bedroom and collapsed on the bed. I groaned as my head hit the pillow and I looked over at my phone to see it light up with a message. 

I leaned over and grabbed it, tapping on the message. It was from Declan. 

I need help
delivered 9:37 p.m.

_____ A/N _____

hello lovelies ! sorry for the later update, i didn't mean to put this chapter off for so long. also, sorry it sucks it's mainly a filler, i just needed something to build up to what's happening next without just, completely jumping onto it, yk ? anyway, i hope you all are lovely and remember to eat and drink water :)

<3