Chapter 21 | Shotgun

"An angel smile is what you sell,
you promised me heaven then put me through hell."

Song: You Give Love A Bad Name by Bon Jovi

≿✾✾✾≾

Anna's P.O.V

They both stood like that for a couple of seconds until my mom decided to break the deadly silence.

"So, I'm guessing you two know each other.." She trailed her words in awkwardness.

"Oh, we certantly do." Ashton spitted harshly and crossed his arms.

"Son..."

"I'm not your son! And you sure as hell don't get to call me that anymore!" He yelled making me jump.

"Ashton, you're a grown up now, you understand how this-"

"Understand what? What possibly is there to understand? You leaving your entire family and disappearing out of the blue?! Do you have any freaking idea how hard mom and us had to work to keep our fucking breathes alive?!" He had stood up by now and was holding his hands in tight fists.

"I had my reasons, okay? Your mother and I- we just-"

"You just couldn't handle it." Ashton finished him off.

"Ashton, give me another chance, please." His father said with his voice now calm and pleading.

"Oh, of course you can have another chance, but not with my girlfriend's mother and sure as hell, not with any of us!" Ashton said rising his voice along the way.

"Wow, excuse me, 'girlfriend'?" My mom said giving me a questioning look.

"Uhm, yeah, about that..." I tried my best to act casual, but no need to say that I totally failed.

"Annabelle Mey Morgan! I thought we had already been over this! No dating until you're seventeen!" My mom said looking at me confrontly.

"But mom! I'll be seventeen in less than a week!"

"You could be seventeen tomorrow, and that still would leave you to be sixteen today." She said and crossed her arms.

"Mom I don't think this is the best time to discuss my relationship status." I said bringing me attention back to Ash.

He was...crying? Ashton was crying? What the hell?

He wiped away a tear that had dropped on his cheek and run his way towards the exist of my house. I followed him running, but stopped once I was past my mother and Ashton's dad. I turned around to face them and shook my head slightly. Guilt was building up in the man's eyes, even though it didn't quite convinced me that it was genuine.

I heard the door slam reminding me what I was going for in the first place. I sprinted out of my house noticing Ashton just a few meters ahead of me.

"Ashton! Ash! Wait!" I yelled and run after him.

"What!" He scoffed turning around. "Sorry, it's just that – he – your mom – us, ugh." He rumbled running his hands through his hair.

I wish I knew what to say, or how to comfort me, but I didn't. His father was dating my mother. This would be fucked up even without me and Ash dating, let alone now that we are actually in a relationship.

"Ashton, I... I don't know what to say." I said with a slight whisper.

"Can you, like, stay at my place tonight? Please, I just need you right now." He said with his voice shaking.

"Yeah, yes of course. Let's get going." I immediently replied taking his hand and leading us to his house.

The walk was awkward to say the least. I didn't know what to do or how to react for I was neither mad nor sad. I was just...shocked? Not by the fact that my mom was now dating another man, but by the fact that that man was exactly Ashton's father.

This is wrong, this is so wrong. If my mother chooses to get married again that would make me and Ash siblings in law.

Even our relationship was now risked and that started to scare me. I don't want to lose Ashton, I couldn't handle the thought of it.

I looked up to see that we had arrived at his place. Realization was hitting me with every step that I was taking.

Ashton knocked on the door which was opened by his mother. Her smile slowly faded as she noticed Ash's bloodshot eyes.

"Honey, oh my God! Come in. What happened?" She asked with a worried sick voice.

We slowly made our way inside directing to the kitchen. Ashton still hadn't replied but it didn't seem to bother him. He seemed lost and captured in a cage of shock.

I didn't know much about his father. All I knew was that he had left his family when Ashton was still young and that he had never been the same eversince. We never brought this topic up, mainly because I knew it was a touchy subject, but I never thought he'd be so sensitive. Unless there is something else going on. Ashton did not only look sad, but also a wave of fearness had washed all over him, and that started to petrify me.

Is there something more rather than just a man abandoning his family? Maybe he's trouble, or more than that.

Looks like I'm not the only one keeping secrets.

"Ashton, honey, what's wrong?" His mother came in the kitchen approaching to his son even worrier than before.

"Mom... He's back." Ashton mumbled staring at the table in front of him.

"Who?"

"Dad." His mother stood shocked at his words, her face had gone pale and her eyes had widened.

"Edward." She said more to herself rather than us. "What is he doing here?"

"Uhm...he's sorta dating my mother." I informed her awkwardly.

"He's what?! Anna, you cannot let that happen!" She yelled with panic covering her voice.

"I- I'm not understand-"

"Anna! He's dangerous! That's the main reason why I got a divorce. He's an abusive maniac. H-he got released from prison a couple of months ago, but I never thought he'd come back here. Anna, you need to tell-" She didn't get a chance to finish due to a loud shotgun noise interrupting her.

I looked at Ashton with my eyes widened in terror.

"Shit!" He yelled and run out of his house sprinting towards mine.

-------------------------------------------------------

(A/N) holy f*ck this is getting dramatic. Well I promised you that a lot of stuff we're about to happen and this is just the beginning. So stay tuned to see what happens next. Also remember to remain happy, healthy and safe. Love y'all ✨❣