Like I said, I never had friends before. For one, I am extremely shy and kind of very awkward. Then the fact that my parents moved from one state to the other every couple of years didn't help either. By the time I was starting to feel rather comfortable in a place and to start talking to other people, my parents were packing and getting ready to move to a new place. Illinois was our eighth destination and the first one in the North. My family always had a preference for Southern states and their warmth but I was glad they had chosen the North for once. My pale skin would finally get some relief from the sunburns and I was going to enjoy my first real winter.

However, after two years in the area of Chicago, my parents were ready to move again, and this time they were headed to California. When they brought up the subject in May that year, I begged them to stay for another twelve months in Chicago. The following year would be my last year of high school and I had already made plans for university. Once I would be in uni, I'd be able to live on my own and they could go wherever they wanted, especially as I would turn 18 before graduation. As a child, I was often sick and I had doubled a year at school, exactly like Shannon, but for other reasons.

The truth was I loved Chicago and I couldn't wait to move into the city. There were only two or three months a year that I would suffer from the heat and it almost set me in panic at the thought of moving to South California - because of course they were not intending to go to San Francisco or even further North... No! They wanted Los Angeles! Another reason was Shannon. We spent all our time together. At school, he was keeping the thugs away from me, and I was trying to rule down his hyperactivity and attraction for problems. Outside of school, we hung out a lot together and my parents appreciated him a lot despite his unruly reputation. So in the end they accepted to spend another year here and I got to enroll in the university of my choice.

Of course, my parents fled from Illinois the summer after I graduated but only after they had made sure that I was comfortably settled in a decent apartment. I was sure going to miss them but at the same time, I wanted some kind of independence. They trust me to be wise and mature enough to stand on my own two feet and to seriously attend all my courses. The rents downtown were obviously quite high but between my grant, my parents' financial help and the little job I found at a library, I knew I could make it. When I proposed that Shannon could move in with me and help me pay the rent, my parents got a bit dubious, knowing that he had dropped off school just before our year-end exams. To say I was disappointed the day he told me he wouldn't sit at the exams is an understatement. His grades didn't look good but I believed that he was still clever enough to try and even pass the tests. That day, the little bit of evil temper that I have in me came out and I cursed him with all kinds of names. I was so angry that I even told him to forget about our friendship.

And yet, a few days later I came back to him. This is when he told me that his parents said he had until his nineteenth birthday to find a job and get out of their house, because on November 25th, all his clothes and stuff would be thrown out the door, had he found a job or not. How could parents get rid of their child by force, even once they were adults? I can understand that they had a hard time with him and I can only imagine how a hyperactive child is difficult, but apart from making him sit at his exams, I always managed more or less to make him behave properly. It just required a bit of tact and reasoning... With that in mind, and after convincing my parents, I offered him to share the apartment with me, with the one warning that I wouldn't let him loaf around. The emotion and joy I saw in his eyes at that moment felt like I was relieving him from all his worries and the next two years bounded our friendship even deeper.

So I spent two years at the Robert Morris University of Chicago in view of getting my Associate's degree in Business Administration. I learned all the basics of business education in accounting, marketing and management that open to higher functions, but my initial goal was to work with high executives. I wanted to become a Personal Assistant. I know that this function is majorly held by women, but this is probably my feminine side emerging? Jokes aside, I have all the qualities fitted for this job: I am a quiet person, well organized and I like to tend to other people. My dream would be to work with high executives, preferably in marketing and communications so that I would be able to travel as well. Since I wanted to stay in Chicago, throughout my last year at university I started to look at the biggest companies in the city and to drop CVs and application letters in various places.