To Infinity And Beyond

I missed the bus home. Wonderful. Walking home was a blast; really. I walked around the corner from school, sighing as I took abnormal steps onto the concrete. Each step was more of a skip, wanting to get home in a rush.

I turned the corner again and I spotted a car. The last thing I remembered was a flash of light; a trucks horn; and then waking up minutes later lying in the middle of the concrete. My head was aching and all of my limbs were in pain. Had I just been hit by a truck?

There were a couple of people crowded around her when she opened her eyes, blinking rapidly to regain vision. 

“What happened?” she asked, dumbstruck at everyone. 

“You were hit by a car, sweetie.” Someone said. 

“No… I need to go home.” Caroline muttered, looking around. 

“There is an ambulance on the way.” 

“No.”

“Hello? Move out the way.” Came a deep, but calm voice from the distance; it was a paramedic. 

With one hoist, they pulled Caroline onto a stretcher and she was in the ambulance. 

She closed her eyes for a moment, and the next thing she recalled was being surrounded by her family in the hospital. 

“Darling…” Caroline’s mother muttered, squeezing her daughters hand lightly.

“You ready to come home?” her father, Keith, said brightly, staring out the hospital room window. 

“What day is it?” she whispered, stretching slightly.

“Friday. You’ve been in and out all week, don’t you 

remember?”

Caroline shook her head slightly. She groaned in pain as she tried to move her leg. 

“You fractured it, babe. But it’s okay. Everything will be fine.”

“I can go home?”

“Yes.” 

* * * *

The car ride home was great. Caroline went through McDonald’s drive through and got her favourite; chicken burger, fries and coke, with a sundae on the side. 

Her parents were spoiling her crazy. 

When the car stopped, her father got the crutches out of the boot of the car. 

Caroline put them under her arms as she started hopping her way into the house. Niall and the rest of the boys were there, waiting for her. 

Caroline stopped, dead in her tracks as she spotted them. 

Harry had a wicked smirk on his face, Louis, Zayn and Liam were trying to keep a straight face and Niall was smiling warmly. 

“Are you okay?” Niall asked, smiling at the new entries of the house; Caroline’s parents. 

“Fine. I’m going to go to my bedroom. It’ll be great to sleep in my own bed.” And with that, she pulled herself to her bed, hoisting herself onto the bed, leaving the crutches sitting on the floor. 

* * 

Back in the lounge room, where the boys and Caroline’s parents sat, they started talking. 

“Boys… I wouldn’t be asking this if she hadn’t been hit by a car… but Tina and I are going on a holiday for the Christmas break in two weeks. Considering school ends in a week, and Caroline won’t be able to take care of herself –“ Keith said, blabbering on as he tried to get to the point.