Walking away

Jennifer stands at the sink in the kitchen, watching her reflection in the window. The fresh set of tears burning her face as they stain her flushed red cheeks. Her emerald eyes faint and hurting as she blinks.

A sudden knock comes at the door.
Jennifer rushes wiping her face, flicking her hair to the side and throwing water over her cheeks.

'Come in.'
She calls, her voice a little croaky.

'Jen, it's me are you ok?'

Ginny's worried but motherly tone ricochets through the house.

'Ye, I was just being silly.'

Jen turns around holding a fake smile across her face.

'Are you sure?'

Jennifer nods frantically, the smile hurts.

'Ye honestly...' She turns away her tears burning her eyes.

'Jennifer you can tell me anything.'
She feels Ginny's hand firmly gripping her arm supporting her.

'Ginny.'

She turns around allowing her tears to flood her face as the warmth of Ginny's hugging grip pulls her closer.

'Ssh, it's ok I'm here'

Jennifer crying aloud now falls into her arms, weakly gripping at her.

'What's happened?'

Ginny lifts Jennifer's head wiping away her tears.

'Last night I slept with Jonathan-'

'He is your boyfriend?'

Jennifer steps back walking over to the sink staring at her reflection again, this time seeing a weak and fragile representation of herself. Not the independent, strong woman she was.

'You wish you didn't?'

Lost in a world of her damaged mind, the figure she watches making her stomach churn she's sick of seeing herself this way.

'Jen?'

'Sorry?'

She turns around wiping her face, the image replaying in her mind on a loop.

'Why are you upset about that?'

Jennifer walks over to the couch, sitting and drawing her legs to her chest.

'I don't know.'

'I think you do. You don't want to admit something do you?'

She looks towards Ginny who joins her on the couch now. Her throat dry and almost painful to swallow.

'Admit what?'
She gets defensive looking away.

'Jennifer, you have to admit something to yourself that you're blocking out. Look-'

She grabs hold of Jennifer's hand causing her to look at her.

'When I first met Joshua, I knew.. He was dating someone else, I refused to believe that maybe he felt something for me..'

Jen raises her lip in a small smile, Ginny and Josh are the perfect couple and even play lovers too. They knew they loved each other the day they met. Jennifer looks at Ginny to continue.

'As soon as I admitted that I'd truly fallen for him and him me, everything was so much more bearable Jen'

Jennifer replaying what Ginny just said, her minding clicking like clockwork until it hits her. She looks at Ginny.