A day to forget

Jennifer stands looking out the large glass window at the left side of the church. The rain falls rapidly, gliding of the window leaving the effect of a thousand teardrops. She watches it drip individually into the panels of the wooden deck below, it ripples. Slipping endless into the ground.

She hasn't cried since she found out. She's blocking everything and everyone out, crying is a sign of weakness.

Suddenly, a warm hand catches her arm, she jumps. Snapping back into the real world. Slowly glancing to her side to see Colin, she remains looking out the window.

Since the incident, they haven't spoke. Unless shooting of course, and that's been awkward. She's decided it's best to give up on their friendship all together, she can't do it.

Especially after that night.

'Jennifer..'

She moves her arm away from him hand.

'I know, you're hurting. I know you don't want me here. But I am, I am because you need someone. Let me be that someone...'

She blocks out his words, nothing he can say can make this all ok, she can't forget what's happened.
'Colin. Now isn't the time.'
Colin, wearing a tight black suit. Only fitting for the occasion of today. Slowly steps back from Jennifer. She's really blocking him out, he thinks about grabbing her and holding her. It would be wrong.

'Will you just listen?'

He gives in, grabbing her arm and making her face him. She looks down, her glimmering green eyes avoiding the light.

'I am here. As your friend. Supporting you.'

'Like your wife supported you?'

She looks up, fairly proud of her witty reply. He's a little taken back she'd use that against him, he told her in confidence and now it lies beneath the rubble of betrayal and hatred.
She looks into his eyes, she still feels for him. Feelings aren't replaced, they're hidden.

'Jen please.'

'I don't want to talk. I know I was just a distraction to you. I understand you love your wife, that's expectable Colin. She is your wife. You don't have to make excuses for what we did. It didn't mean anything for the both of us right? Let's just forget it.'

All the words she said was lies. It meant everything to her and she'll never forget it.

He pauses, his eyes seeking hers. He wants to fight back to her stubbornness. He wants her to know. But she's right, he has his wife and his son. They was happy. Maybe they can be again.

'Right. I'm sorry for using you. You're dearer to me than that. You're my best friend Jennifer, I don't want to lose that.'

She half smiles for the first time in days. If that's the only thing she can have, she'll take it. He is her best friend and that's that.

'Friends?'
'Best friends.'

He extends his hand For her to make a deal. She doesn't join her hand with his, she crashes into his arms. He squeezes her tight, feeling the warmth of her touch upon his. He wishes it was more, it can't be. After a few moments she slips from his grasp.

'I will support you with your wife Colin, she's a wonderful person and so are you. I'm here for you.'

Those last words make his heart skip and beat. He loves his wife... He does.

'Thank You Jen. I..'
'I've got to help bring the coffin in.'

She smiles turning to head down the stairs, he grabs her arm. She's spins back to him. His eyes glance her lips and then her eyes. She does hers. Slowly he lets go of her arm, she slips away again.

He turns looking out of the window at the rain. This is a day to forget for definite.

20 minutes later.

Jennifer sits two rows back in the church staring at her dads coffin. All the other relatives and friends have began leaving. Colin, slowly sits beside her. Taking her hand. She squeezes back. Even though it's a horrid day, having her best friend back helps.

'You need to say goodbye.' Colin stands, escorting her to the coffin. Her father lays pale and draw in face. His hands neatly placed upon each other. Her eyes still dry, no tears have fallen and she intends to keep it that way.

'Goodbye dad.' She replies coldly, not admitting.

'Jen it's ok to cry.'

'No it's not. It's pathetic.' She faces him.

'Why?'

'Don't you see it. You cry and you're weak. People think you're weak because you cry. And I'm not. I'm not weak.'

She tries desperately to keep restricting the tears from falling.

'Hey. Look at me.' He takes hold of her face.

'Crying is not a weakness, it's a strength. Jennifer, you're allowed to cry. No one is judging you. Especially not me.'

She scans his eyes, he's right. She is stronger than that. Tears are just water, like the rain. They wash away the bad, they cleanse the ground and plants. They show you care, and caring isn't bad. It's a gift. She half smiles allowing the small solitary tear to trickle over her face. Colin catches it with his thumb.

'See. Wasn't too hard.'

She smiles, allowing his arms to wrap around her. She draws her head against his neck and cries. She doesn't attempt to stop herself, it flows and flows like an endless stream.

He holds her tighter than before, almost crushing her. But she likes it, she never wants to let go of the moment.

The moment of complete protection. Nothing can hurt her when he holds her in his arms. She knows being his friend is all she can have of him. But she's happy with that, in a way. She leans to his ear.

'I love you.'

Of course in a friend way, they've said it multiple time to each other.

'I love you too.'

He laughs squeezing her a little.

To her, he's still nothing more than the forbidden fruit...

Please comment and vote. Are you liking? 💚💚😱