F O R T Y - S I X

Start from the beginning

"Deeply," Ake murmured just as he was about to move away. 

He felt Karos' hand at his sides going onto his back causing him to shudder and wrap an arm around his neck pulling him closer. 

The moon was high in the sky when Ake woke again from the bed he shared with Karos. He dressed quickly and headed out the room without a noise. He tore down the corridor in silence making sure to nod to the guards along the way. There was tension in the air; he could feel it. He looked behind himself and saw that no one was following behind him before veering off in an entirely different direction. 

Just as he started going down the hallway, guards stood in front of him backing him away from the stairs. They said something in their human language and pushed him back again as he tried to move passed them. He did not want to use force when there was already enough tension in the air to suffocate from, but he had to get passed. 

Ake pursed his lips and nodded his head as if he understood them. Going in a different direction would be best. Instead of going down another hallway, Ake decided to go by an opened balcony. He could drop down from there. He looked down below and saw it was a small drop compared to heights he was used to jumping from. Ake wrapped an arm around one of the nearby pillars and landed with a thud to ground thick with snow. 

The palace should be large and grand. It would be nearby. Ake looked around and hid behind one of the buildings as he saw a guard passing by. As soon as he left, Ake ran towards another building. He went to one after another until he saw a very large structure on the top of a hill. The sound waves crashing against hard stone became clearer the closer he had gotten. As he neared the gates dragons stood at the gates and soon lowered to their knees at his presence. 

"Our Most Honored One... " They all said in unison. 

Ake nodded and walked passed them. The gate opened after a moment and an entourage of dragons was there to greet him at the door causing his eyes to narrow.

"Ake, My Prince. We have been notified of your arrival and came to greet you as ordered." They bowed. "This way."

"Rakkaus, where is he?" 

"In his chambers, My Prince." 

"Take me to him."

"It is late into the ni--"

"Take me to him."

"As you wish."

The dragon cleared a path for him and lead him inside the building.  It was large with high ceilings and painted glass windows. The moonlight shone through causing a beautiful ray of light to sit atop of one of the winding staircases. As he looked around some more paintings stared back at him with eyes cold as ice. 

"This way." 

Ake followed the dragon up the Nothern stairwell. As soon as they reached the top, they went down a long hallway before turning right and passing down a very beautiful scenic balcony. It had statues of griffins chiseled through its railings causing his eyebrows to furrow. 

"My Prince." The man lowered his eyes and opened the door for him. 

"Ake!" Rakkaus' voice sounded bright and filled with happiness as he ran over and embraced him as deeply as when they were together. Rakkaus' hands went down his back and stopped at the bottom of it knowing not to go any further than that. He would not allow for it.  

"I was worried about the news the dragon king had sent from Bahnasa of your unknown location. He said you would arrive here and he was right. He knows you well, Ake," Rakkaus said as he moved away fom him.