T W E N T Y - F O U R

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe."

-Xamdú

__________________________

Karos grabbed Baastian's hands and pried them away from the citadel's gates. His hands were speckled with multiple blisters and bruisings because of how many wooden doors he managed to latch on to, as well as Karos' firm grip. He was relentless.

"What is the matter with you?" Karos growled.

"I have a reason to live!" Baastian shouted back causing Karos to pick him up and throw him over his shoulder like a sack of flour. 

He was not as light as Ake, but he was not so heavy either. Yet, still, he was, thoroughly, exhausted by him and their journey had yet to begin.

"As do we. Now, stop with these nonsensical drivels of yours."

"No-no--no. You are ill in the mind. Delusional. And her, that woman over there, she is mad, truly mad. I heard tales of her eating a man once."

"Ah, well I suppose I will not be eating you then, hm?"

"We are all going to die, insufferably."

Karos looked to Fariel who only continued to lean against a nearby tree brooding over something. He had not been his usual, lecherous self. Usually, he would want to stay longer and enjoy all the pleasures the citadel had to offer. Fariel was not the same.

"Yes, by Gods, yes, another cynic. Now our group is complete," Analia said with much sarcasm as she walked passed them. "To be quite honest, I much preferred the redhead. Better yet, feathers."

"Analia, say something that is constructive, for once, or do not bother to say anything at all."

"I am sure we have nothing but constructive criticism for you then."

"Analia!" Karos hissed, but she only glared.

"Bringing him along with us will, truly, get us all killed! Look at him!" She pointed to Baastian. "He is afraid of his own shadow!"

Fariel's head popped up and his eyes soon met with Karos'. 

"The journey will not be a long one. I heard word that Alastar is traveling to meet with us. We will meet in the middle."

Karos looked at Fariel with furrowed brows. He was nothing but a dragon filled with secrets and it brought him more unease than he could ever imagine. Once, Karos would have liked to think they were the best of friends. 

"Just how do you know this?" Karos inquired.

"I am a merchant, or, at least, was. I did not become one because I wanted to. It was necessary."

Karos shook his head as he put Bash down. He held on to his collar and continued forward back onto the snow-covered highlands. Between the three of them, and his itching need to see Ake, Karos did not know which would be the one to kill him first. 

The wind bit through his armor, and by the way, Analia was beginning to shudder, the day would only grow colder. Winters were long and harsh in Ganash. 

"Let us walk in silence. Lingering about here will not get us any further." 

Day was turning to dusk. Snow was beginning to fall from the skies causing Karos' eyes to narrow. Everything looked to be beautiful when it snowed. However, it always held that sense of eerieness about it.

It was quiet, too quiet. You could hear the crunch of it under each heavy footstep. Soon, Analia broke the tense silence with a small laugh as she peered into Fariel's face.