T H I R T Y - T H R E E

"The day that man allows true love to appear, those things which are well made will fall into confusion and will overturn everything we believe to be right and true."

-Xamdú

___________________________________

"Do it," he coaxed.

Ake tightened his hold on his neck while pushing him closer to the edge of the balcony.

"I want you to, so Father will see you for what you really are, a dragon willing to spill his own kind's blood for some human's worthless pride—"

Ake's grip tightened. As much as he tried, he could not cool down his temperament for what had happened that day. They had nearly killed him and for that, he could never push pass this like all the other times. He was his eldest brother, but Karos held his gem and his heart. They all knew what they were doing when he hung from that cliff.

"Go on, do it." Errol's voice came out straggled and hoarse. He continued to smile and give little resistance.

"Ake, let go of your brother."

He closed his eyes and hissed under his breath before doing as his father commanded.

"Your arguments are becoming far more volatile by the passing days." Ake watched as their father looked to Errol and then to him. "You are both of my blood. You cannot fight this way like this."

"Father—"

"What was this about?"

Ake sighed and blinked away from him.

"The human, Father," Errol chimed.

"The human?" He felt the gaze of his father on him, but Ake continued to keep his head down and away from him. "Ake, you would bicker with your brother because of such a reason? He will die in a couple decades, but your brother will be with you for hundreds and hundreds of years!"

Ake's throat was dry. It was like a lump stuck in the back of his throat. He continued to stay silent, however, even as the stinging in the back of his eyes grew worse by the seconds.

"I talked with your mother about the human and you. She was not too fond of it, but I thought of you and how attached you had grown to him, so I let it be. However, do not let the human get in the way of your relationship with your brothers."

"They nearly killed him!"

"Harmless fun, Father," Errol added, "You know Demir does like to test the limits of things. Humans are such fragile creatures."

"They do these things to me because they want to see me suffer, and the gods know I have. But Father, I will not stand for this. No, not this."

"Because of what reason? A human thing?"

"I am in love with him. Is that not reason enough for you?" Ake breathed.

"Love?" Errol laughed. "Such nonsense. Father, you are not actually allowing this are you?"

Ake lunged for him this time, but his father grabbed his arm and pulled him back.

"Errol, excuse yourself from our presence."

"Father—"

"Go."

Errol bowed and left without another word.

Ake stared off into the distance looking at the moon instead of his father. He had made Errol leave, but Ake knew the start of his problems were only just beginning. His father would not recognize it as love but as mere infatuation, something that would go away with time. All those times he sat back and watched as his brothers tore his life into pieces, he would not help him in this. He was alone just as he always had been.