F I F T Y - T W O

"There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved."

-Xamdú

_____________________________

Fariel walked atop a hill and sat down holding the amber stone in his hand. Up above, he could see Gasa and all of its beauty despite the carnage that could still be seen from below. Once the sun set, it would fill the skies with its beautiful colors. That's truly what Fariel wanted to see. He clenched the gem tight in his hands smothering down a sob by making himself feel pain instead. His nails dug deep into the palm of his hand until silver blood dripped down. Still, the tears came with the pain and he could not will them to stop. Even the sky and all of its beauty reminded him of Oraanu.

"So you have finished." he heard Mirac say causing him to wipe his eyes and turn his head. "You had done as I asked and I am thankful."

Fariel sniffed and muscled down a glare.

"They are very much together... despite my interferences and obstacles I placed between them. The obstacles you and the others had placed before them as well."

"They cannot understand one another."

"They cannot," Fariel agreed.

"But they are—"

"Do you not understand it yet? It is love not lust or desire. What use are words when they can understand each other quite well without them?"

"It matters not to me."

"Of course not," Fariel muttered.

Fariel could feel Mirac's steely, blue eyes boring into him as he came close. His white hair brushed passed his cheek as he sat beside him and smiled a sad smile.

"Everything I had said had come to pass... did it not?"

"You told me he would die!"

"And he had."

"You said both of them would if... if his gem was broken!"

"And they had... they are in pieces, are they not?"

Fariel looked at Mirac with wide eyes. "You do not mean... "

"What I see will always come to pass, but it does not always happen in the ways we think. Xamdú is a strange one." He sighed and looked up at the sky. "It is quite funny, is it not?"

Fariel had cared for Karos since Mirac had first assigned him that job. In less than a month, he had cared for him as he would a brother, if he ever had one. He became his dearest friend and swore he would not let a thing happen to him and he kept it. In the beginning, that would have been all that had mattered, but it was not so now. He had lost someone very close to his heart and nothing but regret consumed him.

If only he had stayed in Bahnasa and held him close that night would he still had been alive and here with him now? The thought sent water to his eyes again. Karos was happy and he wished he could be happy because of it, but he could not. He was miserable and heartbroken just as he started when he was banished from Isla. Nothing had changed but time.

"Oraanu... Oraanu he is... He is dead..."

Mirac looked at him causing tears to stream down his face. "No, Fariel... you just have to wait. Wait for him, and I am sure he will return to you."

Fariel's head popped up and looked him straight in the eyes as tears continued down his cheeks.

"Oraanu is made by me and anything I create is everlasting; immortal like myself." Fariel dried his eyes and tried to stop his hands from shaking. "He will be back, so just wait."