T H I R T Y - S I X

"What the eyes see and the ears hear, the mind believes."

-Xamdú

______________________

Karos sat himself up on the bed and tried to get up. Analia pushed him back down and shook her head. Again, he tried to rise, but she shoved him back down while keeping a firm hand on his chest. Her hands were warm. He closed his eyes in thought for a moment before reopening them with a dull vigor. 

"Are you in pain? We have a doctor here with many herbs to lessen the pain." 

Karos turned his head away from Analia not bothering to answer her although he was in much pain. There was an ache in his heart that no medicine could ever fix. He felt her fingers under his chin turning his head back to face her. A cup of water was pressed against his lips. 

"Drink. You have been out for days."

He listened this time and swallowed all the contents within a couple gulps. Of all people to mother him, he could not have Analia playing the role. It was rather unnatural. 

"... Did you do as I asked?"

"Yes... I..." Karos watched as she walked over to a drawer and pulled out a cloth. His eyes continued to follow her around the room until she came back. There was a strange mix of apprehension and sadness about her, but Karos ignored it. He had no time for it.

"Here... " 

Karos stared at it not wanting to see. Seeing it made it real as much as he did not want it to be. With this, he had no true ties with Ake any longer. It could be as if he never existed to him and Karos could not help but think of that as a good thing. In truth, Karos knew he would not ever see his face again after that time. 

A green gem larger than a pebble but smaller than a walnut laid inside the silk cloth. It was the very same color as his eyes that day. He had remembered those emerald eyes filled with malice and hatred. How could ever forget them? He was as gorgeous then as he was dangerous. 

"... Karos."

"I am fine." His voice was shaky and he could barely see through the blurriness of his eyes. He laid his head back down not wanting to show his face as silent tears rolled down the side of his cheek.  

"Because you have yet to ask me, I will tell you now Rakkaus played no part in what happened. If they were informed it was not by him."

Karos nodded dismissing her altogether. 

"He had not! Why would he ever endanger Ake's life in such a way?"

"Analia, not now," Karos warned sinking his face further into the pillow. 

"Oh, what are you upset? I am upset! I am upset with you, with this, with everything!" she yelled. "Do you think it is only your life being ruined, hm? Are you sad because the reality of the situation finally dawned on you? Fariel had told you! Told you time and time again, you are bound to death tethered to that dragon! But you do not listen. You never listen and look at you now."

Karos clenched the bedsheets tight in his hands.

"You know, at least he is still alive, still breathing. More than I can say for Andel. I could not even bury him! Yet, I must accept your lover as the murderer of mine," she sobbed. "So I will not cater to you and your selfish feelings. I will not tell you all will be well because it will not be. We have a war to fight, Karos. There is no time for this. Only focus on getting better. Nothing more." 

Karos gritted his teeth as he rose. With one hand pressed against his side, he took his first shaky step from out of the bed. 

"I swore the moment you uttered those words to me, I would kill him. I would and I have more than enough reason to."