Chapter Twenty-One

I sprinted across the ravaged land and avoided as many bodies as I could. I had to jump over several orc bodies that were quite disgusting, but I did my best to keep my attention focused on my task.

Finally, I reached the ruins of Dale. I rushed through the streets, past bodies upon bodies and all sorts of people, both wounded and well. I ignored them all and continued on, keeping my feet light and my pace hurried. Slowly, I began to feel an ache behind my eyes, and I realized that I wouldn't be able to run like this forever.

Thankfully, I didn't have to. Just as the ache was becoming unbearable, I reached the top of the hill. RavenHill.

"Kili!" I shouted, trying to find him.

No answer.

"Kili!!" I tried again, rushing into the ruins to find him. I had to find him quickly before it was too late.

Then I heard it. The stomping of feet. A not just a couple. Hundreds.

Kili.

I rushed back the way I came, hurrying out of the ruins and toward the frozen river, hoping to find someone. Anyone.

Instead, I was met with rank upon rank of goblins. Right away I was immersed in fighting purely for my life. There were so many goblins, but most of them just passed me by and headed on towards everyone below me.

In the midst of the fighting, a goblin struck across the side of my head with his beast of a hammer and I dropped like a rock.

~~~~~~*~~~~~~

My head ached terribly. I cracked my eyes open and squinted, the cloudy sky proving to be too bright. I blink several times, forcing myself to keep my eyes open and adjust to the bright light.

Before moving at all, I glanced around my surroundings to make sure no one was nearby. Instantly, I noticed the dwarves and Bilbo, who stood nearby, panting.

I got to my feet, only swaying slightly. Their heads snapped over to me, startled.

"We thought you were dead," Dwalin muttered.

"Sorry to disappoint," I grumbled, gingerly touching a bloody wound on my head that the orc gave me. I scowled wiped my bloody hand on my pants.

"Why did you come back?" Thorin asked with a voice that sounded different from how he last sounded. It was hard to describe, but he almost sounded... sorry. Or maybe... friendly.

Shaking my head, I shrugged off the strange feeling and locked eyes with the dwarf, "Why do you care?"

"Never mind. Bilbo, what did you come here to say?" Thorin said, turning to the hobbit.

"You have to leave here. Now. All of you! Azog has another army attacking from the north. This watchtower will be completely surrounded. There'll be no way out," Bilbo said in a rushed and grave voice.

Thorin and Dwalin's faces grew steadily darker.

"We are so close," growled Dwalin, "That orc scum is in there. I say we push on."

"No," Thorin was quick to say, stopping Dwalin, "That's what he wants. He wants to draw us in."

Realization dawned on my face and Dwalin's.

"This is a trap," Thorin breathed, turning towards the highest tower of Ravenhill. We all followed his example, almost as if we were waiting for something to happen.

Abruptly, Thorin turned to Dwalin. "Find Fili and Kili. Call them back," he ordered with urgency in his voice.

"Thorin, are you sure about this?" Dwalin questioned.

"Do it," Thorin said, "We live to fight another day." He turned along with Bilbo to go find Kili and FIli, but something stopped him.

Then I heard it. A noise like the beating of a drum. It echoed in my ears as we all turned back to the tower. There. The light of torches approached from within.

Then a figure appeared from the top, struggling with something.

Thorin's eyes widened and he rushed forward. I gasped.

Azog stepped into the light, hauling a blood Fili forward. He hoisted him up over the edge and uttered some foul words in his own tongue.

"This one dies first. Then the brother. Then you, Oakenshield. You will die last." Fili struggled, but we all could tell it was pointless.

"No--" Fili gasped.

I couldn't look away. I was frozen.

"Run!" Fili yelled desperately.

then Azog ran him through with his blade. Fili's head fell forward, and I could tell that he had passed. Time passed slowly, almost as if it was frozen.

"Here ends your filthy bloodline!" Azog shouted, releasing his hold on Fili. Fili's limp body dropped down by the frozen river bed below.

Azog glared down at us, but I didn't have the energy to glare back. How... how could...

No. I was in shock. I had never wanted for Fili to die. I would never wish that on any of the dwarves.

And yet, Azog had just executed him before me. Before his uncle. Before his friend and his brother...

Kili! Oh, Kili. I had to find him before Azog did. He had to be nearby!

I had to find him before it was too late. I had to save him.

Swallowing the sob that threatened to engulf me, I picked up my fallen blade from where I had been knocked out and turned to Bilbo.

"Where is Kili?" I demanded.

He didn't even look at me first, his mouth partly open, his gaze far away.

"Bilbo!" I snapped, trying to get him out of his trance.

He finally looked towards me.

"Where is Kili?"

"I... I d-don't know," he stuttered.

Shaking my head, I raced off into the broken down tower, coming to the conclusion that I would have to find him all on my own.

Hello everyone! Today's update is dedicated to Twenty-One Pilots XD Lol, since it's the Twenty-First chapter, get it? Yeah? Okay. I'll shut up now. But seriously, this was a hard chapter to write even if it isn't all originally mine, considering that I try to follow this scene from the movie pretty accurately, while adding some changes with my character. But no matter how many times I see it, I will always cry when *OBVIOUS SPOILER ALERT* Fili and Kili die. Always.

Anyways, please vote, comment, or follow!

Ithildae