Chapter Nine

I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting tensely.

For a moment, I wondered if he had done it. All my senses froze and I felt weightless. The darkness around me caused my mind to come to the same conclusion. Was I dead?

No. I was not dead, but for some reason I couldn't open my eyes. It felt as if an invisible hand was keeping my eyelids forcefully closed. No matter how hard I tried, nothing happened.

Then, all at once my senses returned to me and my eyelids fluttered open. I was astonished to see the scene around me. It seemed that chaos had ensued while I was out. The throne room was filled with guards running about and various voices shouting.

I bolted upright and instantly regretted it when my head began to ache. I searched for the source and my hand came away from my head, sticky with blood. He hit me! He knocked me out! I fumed...HOW DARE HE!

King Thranduil was standing near his throne, shouting things to some guards. Other guards were rushing in and out of the room in a frenzy.

I almost sat back down when another wave of pain washed over me, but managed to hold my ground. He must have hit really hard...I mused.

Thranduil must have noticed I had awakened as two other elves pulled me up and towards Thranduil who was staring at me fiercely. His glare was so intense I had trouble not looking away.

"How in the world did he get a knife, Ithildae?" With his slender hands on his hips, Thranduil spoke, his voice dangerously quiet.

My mind was still foggy and I couldn't remember.

"Answer me!" He almost yelled.

I tried not to shy away or show that I was fearful. Instead, I spoke up confidently, "My Lord, I have no idea how." I lied as the true reason came back to me. In truth, I knew exactly how he had gotten the knife. It was my missing knife that he must have swiped when I went into his cell. That sneaky, deceiving...little...My thoughts were interrupted when another voice reached my ears.

"Ada, the dwarf escaped through the gates. Shall I send out a search party?" Legolas, Thranduil's son, asked his father.

At seeing his son, Thranduil seemed to calm down, "No. You are dismissed, Legolas." He answered curtly.

"But Father-" Legolas began to interject.

"Leave. Now!" Thranduil ordered angrily.

I turned to see Legolas leave without another word before looking back into the face of the King. His features emitted anger and fury like nothing I had ever seen.

Foolishly, I started to speak, "My lord..."

"You will track him down, Ithildae. That is all. Now go." He ordered. Without another word, he turned his back on me and stepped back to his large throne.

The guards let go of my arms and I headed to the door. Before I was completely out, Thranduil added something.

"If you fail, then do not bother coming back. Do you understand?" He added impassively, all emotion gone from his voice.

I nodded faintly and continued on my way, my heart beginning to understand what was happening. If I failed, it would mean banishment. I would not be accepted in my land anymore. I choked back a sob and quickly gathered up my weapons.

Right before I reached the heavy gates to the Woodland Realm, a figure pulled on my arm. I jerked away in annoyance and kept walking, not caring who it was.

"Ithildae, wait!" The figure called.

I slowed my steps, but didn't turn around, "What is it, Prince?" I tried to keep the contempt from my voice, but I'm pretty sure I didn't succeed.