Chapter 7

6 years before

It was the first day of my office. Thank God I at last got a job. I was searching for a job for quite some time. I faced many rejection and my prayers were answered at last. Now I have successfully acquired a job in the famous Sterling Construction. Mom and Dad are happy when I told them about it. Moving from North Carolina to New York was a big step and they supported my decision. They were good and honest people, with a heart of gold. They are the best parents in the whole wide world. I sometimes wish I was their real daughter not an adopted one.

The Spencer's were good people. They took me in as a foster kid. My parents died in a car accident when I was 12. I still remember that day, when the policemen came at my door and told me that my parents were in the hospital because they were in an accident. They had gone on a date together and were hit by a drunk driver. Both of them died on the spot. I was scared at first and when I saw my parents I was torn. I had nobody who can take me in their house. My Mom was also an orphan and my Dad's family was not in the picture.

So I went into system. I was sent to a foster home. It was nice but there were but there were already many children. One day a fight broke out among the children and I was accidentally knocked out. The authorities came and took all the children and transferred them to different homes.

As luck would have it I was sent to the Spencer's. They were sweet and gentle and always treated me as their own. I was a good kid and excelled in my studies. I completed my graduation and applied for full scholarship in a nearby college. I didn't wanted to be burden on my Mom and Dad so I started working in a law firm as a secretary. That job helped me to pay my expenses and help my family as well.

So here I am in New York on the bus travelling to a War zone for my first day. First day jitters are there and with full force. As soon as I get my first cheque I am getting a car. But for now expenses are tight and I have to make it till the end of the month.

I am nervous about this job. I got the position of Assistant to the young and handsome CEO of the Company, Chase Sterling. He is the cause of my nervousness. There is a rumor in the market that he is a womanizer and a certified jerk. Every girl in the vicinity of his presence drops their panties. I hope I can keep my panties on around him. Agghhh I am on to it again. My stupid mind can't shut up. I am not that type of woman, he just maintain a professional front with me I would be more than happy.

I have reached the office 15 minutes before. The building of sterling Construction is marvelous. It's a tall building with up to 30 floors in it. The interior speaks of the success of the company. The lobby is beautiful and sleek. Everything reeks of class and professionalism. I reached the front desk and saw that reception was on the phone and was scrutinizing me up and down as she spoke on it. I nervously glanced towards my clothes. I may not have branded clothes on my body but they were decent enough to look a tad bit professional.

I am dressed in white blouse and black pencil skirt with a black jacket. My hair was tied in a pony tail and my face was makeup less.

"Hi how can I help you?" She put her phone down and gave me the fakest smile she could muster and said.

"Hello. I am a new joiner today". I said to her with a genuine smile not a fake one.

"Oh I see. Can you tell me your name please?"

"My name is Elena Spencer. I am the new Assistant to the CEO". Her head was snapped into attention. She is slightly amused by my words and is looking towards me like she can't believe I was hired for this position. She was judging me by the clothes I am wearing. I hate this kind of people who judge a person based on his brand of clothes.

"OK. Go to the HR department on the 25th floor and meet Mrs. Reed over there. She would give all the instruction. And good luck with the job. I hope you don't get fired on your first day". I am appalled by her words.

"Thank you and for your information I am definitely not going to get fired today". I replied firmly to her.

"Oh don't be so confident. You haven't met him yet. Trust me you would be quitting by the end of the day. Enjoy the day". She said haughtily.

"I may be many things but I am not a quitter". With that I turned and walked towards the elevator. There were 3 elevators, in front of two elevators there were many people waiting and one elevator was far end of the corner. I guess these two elevators are for normal peasants like us and that 3rd elevator is for VIP person.

As soon as the elevator arrived I got in and pressed the button for 25th floor. The receptionist voice still rang in my ears. My nervousness was rising with the elevator travelling up. But before I get worked up more and decided quit on my first my destination arrived.

I met up with Mrs. Reed in her office. She was a very strict woman and got straight to the point.

"Miss. Spencer this position is given to you because you were the most experienced girl from the lot. I want you to maintain a strict professional front in this office. Don't be late ever and do as you are told by your boss. Keep in mind he is a little tough to handle and sometimes downright rude. I expect you to not run to the hills for silly things. He is a very important man and you're responsibility is to make his life a little easier. These are some forms you have to fill out and when you are finished I am going to introduce you to your boss". I gulped at her words but maintained my posture. She gave me the forms to fill out.

As I was in her office I got out and sat at the couch which is just outside her office and started filling out the forms. As soon as I finished writing I entered her office and gave them to her. She scrutinized everything and stood up.

"Follow me". She said and I started walking after her. We entered the elevator; she pressed the button for 30th floor. "I am going to show you your cabin and other rooms which you are going to use while working here. The secretaries before were a complete nuisance. I see a great potential in you and I am sure you can handle the boss" she has so much confidence in me. I just hope I can perform according to her expectation.

But I was not sure. I am going into unknown territory. I don't know anything about the man for which I am working. Just hoping to God that I can handle him and the work.

I know this is a flashback in the middle of the story.

But I am trying to lay a base here of Elena's and Chase's past.

Thank you all for reading this story.

With your support I have got more than 376 reads to the story.

Next update will be on Friday....

Enjoy till then....

Thank You all.... Love you...