mother and son

I'm such a homebody. Everyone is out on a job. Everyone is doing something fun and I'm stuck at the kitchen table. Wiki and Conch came home last night with their fathers and are currently taking them to brunch. Evian took Thorne to the botanical gardens in the next big city over to help her train. Ophelia and Lain went on their first job today since Ophelia waking. Maia comes downstairs, cracks her neck, and sighs. 

"Finally got Ky and Teller down for their nap," she says. 

"What a good grandma you are," I mumble without picking my head up from my work.

"You bet, it's okay, I just don't have the magic type or energy to fight or go on job," she laughs. 

"You're funny," I sigh and slam my forehead into my paperwork. 

The door swings open, Fawn and Rune enter. 

"We're home!" Fawn singsongs, she slides next to me, "whatcha doing?"

"Shit, guys, I've finally gotten a hold of my father's lawyer. I got some money so that we're not homeless. Grandma Diana phoned me four times today asking Echo and I to join her on a holiday sometime this spring. I'm so stressed. I'm surprised the children haven't woken up yet due to my tense and fuming aura that I'm spouting," I whine. 

"Damn, I'll make you some tea," Fawn offers. 

"Any leads on Echo or Raven?" Rune asks and sets his elbows on the counter. 

"Nope, not one," I state. 

"What should we do?" Rune asks. 

"I don't know. I'm never gonna stop looking, that's the thing. Even if the next two weeks pass and we don't find him, I'll keep looking. If I was still home, if I was the same princess I was, I would've given up and handed the problem over to someone else. But, this time, I won't. I've been on the team for what? Like four months? The seasons change pretty abruptly and so did I," I explain. 

"I'm proud of you," Maia compliments. 

I blush, "thank you and I'm gonna get the mail. I just need to walk around a bit." I go to the front lawn and unlatch the mailbox. The envelopes consist of the daily grind: bills, spam, and job requests. The last piece of mail is a thick black envelope with a gold, gilt edge. The envelope has no return or sender address. As I walk back to the front door, I slice my finger through the seal. 

A party! I invite all members of Rave Tempest to my Death Round!

Seven days of battles. 

Winner takes all: Truth and Echo.

The party starts November 24th!

Love, Raven.

My eyes dart straight back to the house, I sprint inside, "we've got our lead," and I slam the invite on the table. Their eyes glaze over the the paper. 

"Truth?" Fawn cocks her brow. 

"It's me," I exclaim. 

"I don't understand," Fawn whines. 

"Me! I am the power of Truth, my mom injected it inside me," I say, clicking together all the puzzle pieces. 

"Why?" 

"My mom and Raven used to be on Genesis together and they had a partnership, too. They obtained Truth on a job and my mom declared Raven unfit to have it. She had to hide it," I explain.

"Raven wants Truth to bring her back, huh?" Rune asks. 

"Bingo," I say, then add, "guess you know a bunch when you're the son of our enemy."