Chapter Ten;

A low groan was heard as a certain Doncaster boy fluttered his eyes open. He squinted at the fresh morning light and flung the duvet over his head. Louis didn’t know what time it was – all he knew was that it was far too early to be awake. He shivered as a cold breeze drifted through his open window. Even though he was protected by his thick duvet, the chill still managed to hit him. He pulled his legs in so he was huddled under the covers, a small pout on his face. He was too lazy to get up and close the window, so instead he let the cold in. “Good morning, Louis.” Louis heard. He snapped his eyes open and sat up straight in bed, flinging his covers away from him. His breathing was shallow and his heart was racing. That voice was so close, as if someone was standing right by his bed, mouth pressed to his ear. And, he could have swore he even felt the tickle of a breathe on his skin. But, there was no one there. Louis cursed and clutched his head with both of his hands. “You’re losing it, Tomlinson. You’re losing it.”

He took a couple of deep breaths and regained himself. “It’s nothing,” he whispered to himself, “it’s nothing.” He tilted his head back, looking at the white ceiling in thought. His heartbeat was just back to its normal rate, when he was given another fright. “Morning, Lou!” Harry cried, flinging the door open with a grin, dressed only in a towel wrapped around his waist, his curly hair hanging in wet strands. Louis rubbed his eyes and stared. Why on earth was Harry so happy and awake at this time in the morning? “What are you doing?” Louis asked groggily, as Harry sat himself on the end of the bed. “What are you doing?” Harry retaliated with a laugh, “It’s twelve o’clock, how are you still in bed? I thought I would give you a bit of a lie in this morning, but now you’re just taking the piss. It’s boring when you’re not awake!” Louis stopped himself from smiling, and frowned instead. “Why? Where’s everyone else?”

Harry cocked his head, trying to remember. “Liam’s gone off to see his mum,” he squinted his eyes in thought, “Zayn and Niall went off somewhere too…I think they said something about bungee-jumping by Tower Bridge and then seeing ‘The Wizard of Oz’ at the West End.” Louis scrunched his nose up in confusion, “The Wizard of Oz?” Harry nodded, “Yeah. Don’t you remember them talking about it? I think Zayn fancies Dorothy and Niall…well he just wants the good ice-cream and a T-shirt.” Louis had to let out a loud laugh – to be fair it made perfect sense. “So, everyone’s out all day? It’s just you and me?”

Harry grinned, “Yeah. So, I thought maybe we could do something? We haven’t hung out in ages.” A small puddle was beginning to build on Louis’ mattress where Harry’s wet hair was dripping. He watched one particular brown curl as the water spiralled down it before dropping off at the end. “We hang out all the time.” Louis said, his blue eyes fixated on Harry’s hair. “Not properly! Not just us! I-I kind of miss it.” Harry admitted. “Yeah. That’s true,” Louis nodded, finally breaking his eyes away from the curl and instead looking at Harry’s eyes, “so what do you want to do today?” Harry grinned, his eyes crinkling a little, “I want to go to the zoo!” Louis snorted, “The zoo?” Harry’s grin faded, his eyes looking sad, “What’s wrong with the zoo?”

“Nothing. It’s just, getting a coffee or something is so much easier.” Louis shrugged. Harry pouted in disappointment, “Louis, we live in London. There’s a coffee shop on every corner. There’s only one zoo! Come on, please. I know you love the zoo! We haven’t been to the zoo in ages!”, “That’s because the last time we went Niall got us kicked out of the petting zoo for chasing the chickens, and Zayn got spat on by that Alpaca.” Louis remembered, causing Harry to snort with laughter at the memory. But as Louis looked into Harry’s eyes, he smiled, “Okay. I’ll meet you downstairs in ten minutes.”