twenty-nine

"I know you hear me." Louis whispered harshly, staring at Zayn.

There was an empty desk between them, and Zayn was pretending it was a wall.

"Zayn!" Louis hissed.

"I'm trying to take a test, why don't you do the same?" Zayn snapped quietly, glaring at him.

"I'm trying to apologize." Louis said.

"Great timing you idiot." Zayn muttered.

"Zayn I'm sorry about what I said, okay? I miss taking you to school in the mornings and hanging out with you and messaging you." Louis said.

"It's been two days, Louis." Zayn said, giving him a look.

"I know, but it feels longer. I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to sound ignorant with what I said. You were right, and I was wrong." He said.

Zayn stopped taking his test, looking at Louis.

In all their years of friendship, he'd never heard Louis admit that he was wrong.

Ever.

"Will you please forgive me and let me take you home? I know you don't like riding the bus." Louis said.

Zayn sighed heavily. "Fine."

"Thank you."

"You two gonna kiss now?" Another boy asked after turning and looking at them.

"You'll be kissing my fist if you don't shut your gob and turn back around." Louis threatened.

"Whatever." He muttered, turning back around.

"Anyway, what'd you get for number five?" Louis whispered.

"Haven't even gotten there yet because you won't leave me alone, Tomlinson." Zayn complained.

"Oh. Sorry." Louis said quietly, looking back down at his own paper.

Later that day at lunch, Zayn ate quietly while Louis talked, and talked.

It was as if he'd kept everything bottled up, just waiting until he and Zayn were speaking again to let it all out.

"Liam and I are going to the carnival this weekend with Leigh-Anne and the rest of the girls. Why don't you ask Harrie to come along?" Louis suggested.

"I'll think about it." Zayn said quietly.

"Aren't you two dating now?"

Zayn swallowed, avoiding Louis' eyes and picking at his food. "No, not really. We're just...a little more than friends. We're trying things out."

"What's there to try out? She's fit, and she likes you. I'm surprised you haven't asked her to marry you." Louis scoffed.

"She's not the girl you, and everyone else thinks she is, Louis. There's a lot more to her than just looks." Zayn said.

"What, is she crazy?" Louis asked, making a face of disgust.

"Let's end this conversation here before I end up taking the bus home again." Zayn muttered.

"Okay." Louis said, wondering why Zayn was even more moody than usual lately.

+
+
+

That evening after school, Harry locked himself away in his room, getting in bed with his phone.

_zaynjaym93: how was your day? 😜

its_harriexx: boring. yours?

_zaynjaym93: Louis admitted he was wrong for once so I had a pretty big day