Chapter 23 - Unbreakable

I drew back from the hug, my heart dancing in joy. I know my face must have been glowing, for Manik's lips lifted a little.. Not a complete smile, but  the hint of a smile nevertheless, and that to me, was a pretty good start.

''I feel suffocated in here. Let's go out for a bit.'' Manik suggested and I willingly let him lead the way.

-----------

~Waves are inspiring. Not because they rise and fall, but because each time they fall, they never fail to rise again.~

We sat on the cool sand, watching the waves rise and fall, letting the relaxing sound of the crashing waves do all the talking. Manik had bought me to a beach, and now I knew why. Somehow, sitting by the vast sea and listening to the sound of waves makes one regain their inner calm and there was nothing more one could ask for. He wanted to be be free from the conflict in his mind.

One of his arms was wrapped around me, holding me close to his heart. I turned towards him and studied his face. He seemed to be deep in thought, probably still trying to register the fact that he wasn't a murderer and it was all an evil plot crafted by his devious mother. Sometime back, Manik confessed that his peace and solace lies within me, and so I felt the responsibility to give him that.

''Forget all of that. Leave your past behind... We have a whole world of happiness waiting for us.'' I broke the silence, rubbing his arm soothingly.

''I know, Nandini. I want to close this Nyonika chapter once and for all too. I will talk to Dad, and end her guardianship as soon as possible.. But before that, I will make her pay for trying to hurt you.'' He replied, tightening his hold protectively around me.

''We will make her pay together.. For hurting both of us. But, for the time-being, let's just stop thinking about her?'' I suggested. Manik nodded, but  I could see he was still stuck on the same thought process.

''Waise, Manik.. You know what? You're my hero.. Kaise maara tha na kal tumne uss aadmi ko out-house mein mere liye. You totally looked like a sexy action-hero.'' I said naughtily, trying to divert his mind. He chuckled a bit, probably realising that I was doing it all on purpose, but I didn't mind. He laughed, and the sound of his laughter after so much of time was the most pleasing thing to listen to.

''But.. How did you know I was there? I mean.. I hadn't even told you the location..'' I asked, recalling the incident. ''I just had your SIM traced to find the location.'' He shrugged and gave me a little smirk. ''Wow, Smart, huh? ..You should have been a detective in my place then.'' I laughed.

The smirk on his face died and he gave me a serious look. ''Okay, Nandini.. About this 'detective' business. I really think you should stop this and choose some other career course.. This is just too risky and I can't afford to let you get hurt at all.''

''Par, Manik..'' I groaned and stopped mid-way. His captivating eyes bore pleadingly into mine and I already knew I was fighting a lost battle.

''No par var. I'm sure even my baby wouldn't want you to continue putting yourself in danger again and again. You want Mummy to always stay safe , haina baby?'' He looked at my tummy and talked to it, as if the baby would respond to his silly questions any minute now. But, he looked so adorable doing it that I ended up bursting into laughter.

Yes, being a detective had always fascinated me and I had loved solving mysteries since I was a kid.. The risk factor only excited me. But, now I wanted to be there for the two beings I loved the most in this world. I couldn't leave them alone or let them suffer incase anything happened to me.

''Besides, I've already thought about what your alternate career choice should be.'' He looked back at me and spoke, looking pleased with himself.